Enlarged Testicles in Male Mallard x Saxony

Amalthea666

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,
I've just had my 3 year old Male Mallard x Saxony at the Vet. He was short stepping when he walked, more so on concrete.
Vet did x-rays and found that his testicles were enlarged. The Vet suggested an implant to control his testosterone levels.
He is quite a randy boy and he does have a girlfriend - 3 year old Female Muscovy.
My question is: Is this common and does it mean something nasty?
I'd love to get people's feedback.
Thanx, Peta.

Maybe @casportpony would be able to help she is pretty knowledgeable about just about everything to do with our waterfowl.

I will say this do all the research you can on what this implant is and what side effects it can have. A member on here had an implant given to her female duck and she has had many problems ever since.
@New duck mommy 2021

Mine was Lupron injections to stop my girl from laying eggs till they got her aspergillosis cured
My avian vet told me it’s safe and no side effects
What she didn’t tell me was there was zero info on ducks with Lupron so of course there was no side effects listed
My girl had 2 shots a few weeks apart
She didn’t stop laying eggs
But it did change her eggs from beautiful hard shells ( perfect eggs ) to thin shelled that break very easy
She now gets issues with soft shell eggs as well ( started in winter when the sun is very little )
I have contacted my avian vet several times over the past 10 months
Each time being told her Lupron shots were not the cause of her egg issues
That it’s my duck
Well she laid for 12 months straight (no winter break her first year) with Perfect eggs
The issues started a week after the first shot we are now 10 months later and her eggs are still not normal
Twice sift shells have broke inside her causing infections in the last 4-6 weeks ( since winter )
My girl is going on 22 months of egg laying straight with no break
Yet the shots were to stop her
I’m beyond frustrated that I was not told there was no studies done. Therefore no info on this shot with my bird
What I have come up with after reviewing that shot with humans is caused D deficiency
Hmm so you can’t absorb calcium with low d
This makes sense now
My regular vet has finally listened to me
Unfortunately the treatment had to take a backseat while we treat the infection from the last broken egg in her
Tomorrow is last day for meds
Then we will start a Calcium / D3 supplement that goes in water
3 days a week for 2 weeks. My fingers are crossed this helps
I’m well over 4000 in vet bills with this duck
Please do research as much as you can before making the decision
Some things can’t be reversed
This shot we got leaves the system but damage it causes while in it can be for life

Back
Top Bottom