Epic search for real Delawares

View attachment 1905784
Yayyyyyyyyyyy more Delaware enthusiasts.

There’s a fascinating thread on here for Delawares I don’t know if you’ve seen it. It’s about Delawares from “Kathy I’m MO”. That is the “Bonham” line of Dels. The most correct to the SOP because she actually recreated the breed. Apparently she deleted some of her notes here in BYC, but the thread still abounds with great info. It’s LONG.

Aside from that. There a few lines of these birds.

The original Whitmore line is fairly utility. That line is now owned and worked on by Deer Run Farm. They’re working on more utility with every breeding. Realllllly nice people. Ship eggs year round, they’re only shipping birds the next four weeks until spring.

The chickcharney line was sold. They’re not “releasing” it back to the public for a little while, I don’t know when.

Oregon Delawares breeds based off the Bonham line but it’s their own line now. They breed to the SOP so maybe not what you want.

I just purchased Delawares from Dawnridge Farm in CA. They hatch to order and ship year round and do not often ship eggs. 10.00 per chick, including shipping, 25 minimum. Erin Angulo is the breeder, really helpful.

This line is getting finished carcasses of 3 - 3.5 lbs at 12-13 weeks. It’s the MOST utility line out there. It is NOT an SOP line, it carries a few faults, I believe. That’s probably not your goal with Dels, if you’re looking for utility.

If you’re on FB, the Delaware United Club has a group that is really very informative. I actually found my APA mentor through that group.

Oh also, Frank Reese is active in that group as well.

Oh, I also have two Bonham-line (via Oregon) Delawares.

Man of I could like a post twice!!!
That's EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for. I'm def not looking for show birds, I need workers on my field and in my kitchen all the way. I'll keep everyone posted on my shenanigans, nice to make some fellow dellow friends

This is my Jack. He's terrific but TINY. Someone suggested to me he was a bantam mix and I wanted to die. Who would do that to delawares. Anyways I won't breed him there's no point, but he's everything else I love in the breed. Friendly, protective, finds crickets for his girls, good dancer ☺️
Dreaming of a Superman 2.0 for sure lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_112255132.jpg
    IMG_20190912_112255132.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 19
Passing on more info, the Deer Run Farm line they said this most recent year the cockerel grow outs had 6lb weights at 18 weeks. (2019) She also told me they have always raised them with the pullets on standard feed and will be switching the cockerels to meat bird rations to see what happens in the future.

I hatched some welsummers from them last year, and when you order eggs, they send you this really cute carved wooden egg.

@Katonk I tagged you in an old Delaware Breeders thread in the Exhibition forum.

Also, Sandhill Preservation does Delawares. They don't necessarily produce show quality stock, but they do try to do the heritage breeds, so there might be a bit more quality there than a major hatchery. Don't put all your eggs in that basket though, I've seen a lot of posts saying that they are very hard to actually get the chicks shipped out to you when they say they will. Worth a shot though. Here is where the Delawares are listed:
https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/american-breeds
My original Delawares came from my local feed store that orders through privet hatchery, they have some decent meat on them now and are good winter layers, I hatched my rooster Big boy from the hens crossed with a Big White rooster I was gifted.
20190720_205617.jpg
there he is next to one of my Delaware hens, the hens were 2016 hatch.. now Big boy hit 5 pounds at 12 weeks! I have been hatching his offspring crossed back to the Delaware hens and his half sister.... we will see what that yields.
I recieved Delawares from sand hill preservation center in may, they are still growing out but I am hopeful... all else fails I will put those hens under Big boy and work from there. I am excited to see others interested in the Delawares

Oh wow I love his waddles! They're so red! My tiny Jack loves it when I rub his comb and waddles, it really calms him. I can see big boy has some really beautiful weight but, and now understand I'm anal and a real crabapple so boulder of salt with this fo sho, it's a bummer his tail feathers aren't.... Prettier? Dang man that sounds terrible, I can't eat tail feathers!!
My only delaware is half his size, man good job that sounds like a solid plan and I hope to get to where you're at someday soon. I really have to work to reconcile my wants with my needs, I'm not in a place where I can afford to fixate on plumage- fellow dellows jump in at any time and redirect if I get nit picky!
Yes I'm so excited to start cleaning up whatever I can have the privilege to start with. Ive been reading back since being turned onto this post and felt my current coop layout plans were too small to really have a good gauge on the abilities I'm looking for so it was back to the drawing board! I'm so glad I have a little land now, I think this breed shows so much potential and really deserves love and preservation, but you need so much space!! I'm about to start haunting a few coop design threads- Ive got a couple of deep litter tractor designs bangin around in my noggin that seem more whims and silliness than utility, but I LOVE the low maintenance my deep litter brings. How much forage/running space would you say really keep your birds happy? Big beautiful table birds need room to roam and live bugs to eat to really have the best chance I think.
Dude that's so cool about the wooden egg, one of my leghorns is broody on ceramic eggs and man are those things expensive! I was hoping for some Delaware eggs this season for her but I'm not sure if want to trust her with such important birds... But then again mothers teach best and babies raised with a mom have the best chance as long as she's a good mom. Maybe I'll get eggs and hatch them and slip them to her during the night.
Suggestions on timing? As soon as hatched? Yes she really is broody and hasn't left the nest for two weeks now except to eat and drink. I haven't separated her yet but as soon as I get eggs I'll isolate to give her time to settle down.

Oh wow I love his waddles! They're so red! My tiny Jack loves it when I rub his comb and waddles, it really calms him. I can see big boy has some really beautiful weight but, and now understand I'm anal and a real crabapple so boulder of salt with this fo sho, it's a bummer his tail feathers aren't.... Prettier? Dang man that sounds terrible, I can't eat tail feathers!!
My only delaware is half his size, man good job that sounds like a solid plan and I hope to get to where you're at someday soon. I really have to work to reconcile my wants with my needs, I'm not in a place where I can afford to fixate on plumage- fellow dellows jump in at any time and redirect if I get nit picky!
Yes I'm so excited to start cleaning up whatever I can have the privilege to start with. Ive been reading back since being turned onto this post and felt my current coop layout plans were too small to really have a good gauge on the abilities I'm looking for so it was back to the drawing board! I'm so glad I have a little land now, I think this breed shows so much potential and really deserves love and preservation, but you need so much space!! I'm about to start haunting a few coop design threads- Ive got a couple of deep litter tractor designs bangin around in my noggin that seem more whims and silliness than utility, but I LOVE the low maintenance my deep litter brings. How much forage/running space would you say really keep your birds happy? Big beautiful table birds need room to roam and live bugs to eat to really have the best chance I think.
Dude that's so cool about the wooden egg, one of my leghorns is broody on ceramic eggs and man are those things expensive! I was hoping for some Delaware eggs this season for her but I'm not sure if want to trust her with such important birds... But then again mothers teach best and babies raised with a mom have the best chance as long as she's a good mom. Maybe I'll get eggs and hatch them and slip them to her during the night.
Suggestions on timing? As soon as hatched? Yes she really is broody and hasn't left the nest for two weeks now except to eat and drink. I haven't separated her yet but as soon as I get eggs I'll isolate to give her time to settle down.
Best time is usually at night for hatches but I found eggs don’t matter. Grab some infertile eggs and she if she takes them in the day. If she does, she will take the fertile ones too!

Color on Delaware is actually pretty difficult to achieve correctly. However, that’s one of the last things that you work on! The Livestock Conservancy has incredible resources for breeding utility birds.

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

This is my Jack. He's terrific but TINY. Someone suggested to me he was a bantam mix and I wanted to die. Who would do that to delawares. Anyways I won't breed him there's no point, but he's everything else I love in the breed. Friendly, protective, finds crickets for his girls, good dancer ☺️
Dreaming of a Superman 2.0 for sure lol.

Jack is a very pretty bird regardless of his size. My hens would love him.

Back
Top Bottom