Essential oils and chickens

Oooo. That website takes forever! But I moticed that everything my DD wants to order is being shipped from outside the US. Where do you live?

I haven't read through all the comments yet but yes you can use essential oils on animals!
thumbsup.gif

Many of you may be familiar with Vet Rx which is essential oils! Just research it first on the internet.
Make sure to buy quality oils because some cheaper brands are not good quality.
Even some "therauputic grade" essential oils can be poor quality so you may not get the results you were hoping for. I would recommend doTERRA, Young or Sparks Naturals.
I'm a BIG fan of E.O. and have cured many health ailments using them and enjoy their many uses around the house and farm for all natural non-toxic cleaning products and pest control. Mice and bugs hate peppermint oil.

So has anyone else has success? I used Oregano, Tea Tree and a few others successfully on a roo that had pus drainage from his eye. Perfectly fine.

I have begun using EOs (I ONLY USE YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS AS THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES I'VE DISCOVERED TO BE 100% PURE, UNDILUTED, COMPLETELY THERAPEUTIC, AND SAFE TO INGEST - please do NOT give your chickens any other brand to drink!) quite routinely in caring for my hens.

* I put a drop of Oregano and Frankincense into their 1.5 gallon drinking water when I suspect illness and/or parasite.
* When someone's egg bound, I add a drop of Frankincense to their massage/bath with Epsom salts.
* I use Lavender and Purification oils, mixed with water, in a spray bottle to clean their coop/barn and repel mites, etc.

Tea tree oil in its concentrated form should never be used on poultry and small animals. It can be deadly if ingested in even the smallest amounts.

That would be correct. Any essential oil in concentrated form should be used with caution on poultry and other small animals. Even some need to be diluted when used on people.
I have the animal essential oil desk reference book. Plus the CARE training I attended added a lot of knowledge for using the oils.

The Animal Desk Reference by Melissa Shelton DVM has some information on birds. It says that chickens are more tolerant to EOs. I'm new to chickens so I can't say much.

Thanks for giving the author's name. I've not yet been able to find much info on using EOs w/chickens, so it's been a matter of a bit of a guessing game mixed w/prayer when treating my hens.

Back
Top Bottom