Essential oils and chickens

I am new to chickens, I've read four books from the library but panicked last night when we noticed our 4 week olds had the starts of bramblefoot. I was on the phone with my mom who has used Young Living oils for a decade. I read online to soak their feet/legs in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. I drew up the water and added one drop of Theives and a drop of lemon to the water. I soaked both birds feet for 20 minutes and changed the water for the second bird. Both girls feet look much better after one foot bath. I can see where the bumps were, but they are no longer red and the swelling is down. I will continue to watch them and many repeat tomorrow if needed.

Fabulous!
When I give my chickens an Epsom bath, I usually add a drop of Frankincense because of its healing properties, yet mild scent.

I use a variety of essential oils and naturals for my flocks. A fox attacked this Summer and tore into one of my Brabanter hens. Her back was shredded with open wounds. I put her into solidarity and treated her with Garlic water, coconut oil and cleaned the wound with witch hazel. Given the severity of wound I chose to use Blu-Kote 2x a day too. I really did not expect her to make it but she did and is rejoicing being back with her flock after a two month treatment.

Any thoughts on using this in the coop or directly on the chickens?

I just had a chick that was pecked until his tissue and tendons were showing on his neck. I googled essential oils and chickens and read what I found. It was pretty gory, this chick is only about 6 inches tall, with feathers, but not flying yet. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide as suggested, and then took about 1 to 2 drops lavender oil in about 1/2 to 1 cup warm water and dobbed it on it last night. It was obviously in pain, but relaxed in about a minute of using the lavender oil. This morning he could not move his head really well, but did the lavender oil again on all its neck and YEAH!!!! at lunch it was eating and holding his head up and drinking and pooping!!

Thank you so much! I love my oils!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjaybrd

Any thoughts on using this in the coop or directly on the chickens?

I'd be more concerned about the source and processing of the SLS and other ingredients than the essential oils in it. Concern with the oils comes into play if they were not pure and were adulterated by using high heat or alcohol, etc. I would assume you could use this product in the coop, but I wouldn't want to say with certainty that using it on your chickens would be safe since I don't know enough about the product.

Good luck! :)

So I have four hens with single combs and one room with a big gnarly pea comb. But mostly used Teatree on the hens (one I think had some oregano oil and tea tree) their combs are healing quite nicely no visible signs anymore of the favus. The roo certainly still has favus, I'm not sure (obviously) if it's because of his combs structure or the oil I'm using to treat it, so I'm going to try the tea tree on him as well.

Back
Top Bottom