Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I came here to ask a question, and it seems like maybe its already being discussed. Does anyone know for sure the genotype of Marrunda Basque hens? Are they (cocks) homozygous for barring? And why is the barring so washed out on the hens compared to say, autosexing breeds? Is their base color Wheaton or Colombian (which my understanding is Wheaton plus the Co gene)? DO they also carry the Mahogany gene? I have heard both. And if so, why aren't they autosexing (if they are red Colombians)? Aren't Rhodebars red colombian plus the barring gene? Also, I have read some stuff about the more barred looking EOs being "bad"? Why is that?

I have admired this breed from afar, but I just moved to the country and can finally have roosters! So I am excited to get some both for breeding pure EOs and to use in an Autosexing Easter Egger project I have planned, so I am just trying to understand more about what genes are at play in the Marrunda color. (Goal for that project is: is large autosexing birds that lay a good amount of blue/green eggs, with calm, personable personalities, pea comb, beard, and crest. I plan to use barred EOs, Bielfelders, Crested Legbars, and Wheaton Ameraucanas.)

The Basque Breed was studied at nation laboratories in Spain. If my memory serves me well the director of the research was Ocampo. I read some of the papers on the breed 5-6 years ado. They tested for the Dark Brown gene in the marraduna and they didn't carry it. So just the columbian gene is present. They are Wheaten based. I don't remember all the other specifics but if you can find any of the research paper on this you will have everything you need on the Genotyple. Yes, the males are homozygouse for sex-linked barring. Not they are NOT autosexing. The wheaten color pattern produces a yellow chick down. You need the chipmonk pattern chick down for autosexing. We got one or two out ever 2-3 dozen that had enough red enhancement in the chich down to make out the head spots but well breed lines you would not have excessive red enhancers and you would not be able to make out any of the markers for sex linked barring at all. We did however use the Basque Hens to test mate our Black Copper Marans cockerels for wheaten and other recessive color patterens and they created black sexlinks. No, correctly colored Maraduna birds do not carry mahogany. as for the wheaton and colombian, wheaton is a primary color pattern located on the e-loci. Columbian is a color modifier. It restricts the eumelanine (black) from the body leaving it in the tail and hackles only. The Maraduna color is homozygouse for both the Wheaten primary color pattern and the columbian restrictor. The standard for the Maraduna is for homozygouse barred males. If you have one that only carries one copy of the barring gene is will be a darker barring. This is bad because the male will not produce uniform offspring. It will produce some male offspring that are double barred, some that are single barred and daughters that are single barred and non-barred. The goal for a breed is to be pure breed so that you get uniform offspring that look like the parents. You can't get that if you don't have double barred males. Another thing that could cause a "more barred" bird would be if they were not carrying two copies of the wheaten gene. That again would be bad because offspring would not be uniform nor correctly colored.

Why not use your Bielfelders for you base breed in the autosexing Olive Egger project? Using Basque will introduce the columbian gene and the Wheaton gene which both would need to be bred out of your Olive Eggers. Both would be easy to breed out (only 3-4 years) since the e+ wild type is recessive to the Wheaten and the Columbian is dominant so it can be seen, but the Basque don't seem like the most direct route if you have Biellies.

Thanks, I may just use Bielefelders, but I'd heard such great things about EOs personality and utility I kind of wanted to include them.

Speaking of which, anyone on here have Marrunda hatching eggs they sell?

I moved from Texas to Oklahoma in 2015 and couldn't bring any adult birds to Oklahoma with me. I sold all the Basque to a man in the Houston area who had been keeping a laying flock for 18 years (purchasing pullets from the hatchery) and starting his retirement he wanted to breed his own flock. He had bred racing pigeons and had a good background to be successful with the flock. I don't know of anyone in Oklahoma with Basque so we don't have any currently. We have filled their void with Colombian Plymouth Rock. I would have taken some Zillara Basque when we got the Plymouth Rock if they would have been available. ;-)

Gary Dean 26, I would like some guidance. I'm not particularly smart about genetics but would like to breed Basque Hen bantams. Would you be able to tell me what would be the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking about approaching it the "Rockshire" direction,. Then doing some heavy crossing with F2 on the Basque Hen itself. Would just using a New Hampshire bantam on Basque Hens accomplish this just as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Thanks, I may just use Bielefelders, but I'd heard such great things about EOs personality and utility I kind of wanted to include them.

Speaking of which, anyone on here have Marrunda hatching eggs they sell?
Bluegenes, did you ever try your cross with the Ameraucana? I have a Basque rooster that I crossed with a couple Lavender Ameraucanas and it looks like they may be sexable at hatch. In the attached 1st pic the one with the more defined stripe I believe turned to be a cockeral, last pic. The 2nd pic is of 2 of the 3 suspected pullets.
20190414_174901.jpg
20190604_180407.jpg
20190604_181552.jpg

Bluegenes, did you ever try your cross with the Ameraucana? I have a Basque rooster that I crossed with a couple Lavender Ameraucanas and it looks like they may be sexable at hatch. In the attached 1st pic the one with the more defined stripe I believe turned to be a cockeral, last pic. The 2nd pic is of 2 of the 3 suspected pullets.View attachment 1815719 View attachment 1815721 View attachment 1815722

What sex link and you trying to use with the Basque Cockerel over Lavendar Ameracana? The sexlinked barring from the Cockerel won't work. For the barring gene you need barred hens for the link to work. They is also a sex-linked silver gene. if the Lavendars are silver based then you could get sexlinks that way. All the pullets would come out with the silver base and the cockerels would be a split of gold and silver that produce a golden base. I am not sure what type of link you are looking for in these chicks. Can you give more details on what you found with this hatch/cross?

Guess I have my barring gene crossed. A couple of the chicks have ear tufts which I was thinking came from the Ameraucana hen and noticed that the one chick that had a prominent stripe turned out to be a cockersl. See 1st pic in previous post.

Back
Top Bottom