Euthanasia? I don’t know what to do 😢😢

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Hi, as I mentioned in previous posts, my chicjen bluey went to the vet for Ascites, most likely caused by her liver. She was ok, now her comb has been purple for four days, and she hasn’t eaten in three days. Is it time to euthanize her?

When they have ascites, and that is often a symptom of something else going on, cancer, infection, organ failure, then generally they just slowly deteriorate. If she's not eating or drinking, then the end may be near. If she's unresponsive, then it's probably very near. If you think she is suffering, then it may be time, and a kindness not to let her suffer. If the vet drained fluid and she felt better for a time, then draining again may give some relief. But it also may be advanced beyond that helping. Hard for me to say. Draining is never a cure, just a temporary relief from the discomfort of the fluid. If you think it's time, then it probably is. I'm very sorry. It's never an easy decision. :hugs

When they have ascites, and that is often a symptom of something else going on, cancer, infection, organ failure, then generally they just slowly deteriorate. If she's not eating or drinking, then the end may be near. If she's unresponsive, then it's probably very near. If you think she is suffering, then it may be time, and a kindness not to let her suffer. If the vet drained fluid and she felt better for a time, then draining again may give some relief. But it also may be advanced beyond that helping. Hard for me to say. Draining is never a cure, just a temporary relief from the discomfort of the fluid. If you think it's time, then it probably is. I'm very sorry. It's never an easy decision. :hugs
Yes, the draining was in hopes of letting her have a bit more comfortable time , but unfortunately I can’t bare to see her like this anymore, so I’m having her euthanized tomorrow. Thanks for your time

You are welcome, I'm very sorry.
Hi, I noticed the day that I decided to put Bluey down, that she had perked up a bit and looked like she needed a little bit more time with her flock before I made the decision. I have now made the decision to have her put down tomorrow at 5 o’clock

I'm so very sorry for you having to go through this. I worked for vets and helped euthanize dogs but it was a very wealthy area and any we euthanized were days to hours from dying anyway. It's NOTHING like losing your personal pet. My first Leonberger that died at only 5 years old from Lymphoma, I swear I thought I'd die from grief too. I loved him as much as my husband and wasn't expecting it at such a young age. You are doing the right thing. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom