Ever see an egg like this?

Chickety Charcoal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Westchester County, NY
I was feeding the hens this morning and just happened to see this buried in the pine shavings. I thought it was a random piece of wood that sometimes gets in with the shavings. Next to it is a corturnix quail egg for size reference.

Is this just an egg that started to develop and then the hen's system rejected it? I didn't crack it open yet.

They have had continuous access to oyster shell for months. Well-rounded nutrition in their feed and layer pellets, plenty of water, sun, shade, etc. They haven't been free-ranging much this summer but I have given them greens and table scraps of veggies when I can. This is the first time to my knowledge that this happened. I am guessing it is from my Welsummer who is about 4.5 years old.

I tried to find the egg laying article that mentions these, but look for "fart eggs" on here. Basically, sometimes chickens lay funny eggs for whatever reason (young layers, after molt, etc) and I think yours is a fart egg. It might have a teeny tiny yolk, or no yolk, or even just a piece of her reproductive tract that went down and got the whole "egg treatment"

I tried to find the egg laying article that mentions these, but look for "fart eggs" on here. Basically, sometimes chickens lay funny eggs for whatever reason (young layers, after molt, etc) and I think yours is a fart egg. It might have a teeny tiny yolk, or no yolk, or even just a piece of her reproductive tract that went down and got the whole "egg treatment"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah that is a loose term for one. LOL

I've got some weird eggs but not like that

Its like 1 egg with a half egg stuck 2 it does anyone get eggs like this 1

Back
Top Bottom