Everyone is sold out

fhdogs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Southern Vermont
I was all ready to place an order for chicks online last night, but I waited till this morning to place the order. Of course today every breed I had selected is sold out until late June. So off to another website, June also. So five phone calls later and the best I could do (including substitutions) is June, Several hatcheries told me I shouldn't expect my order until July or August.

It's difficult to get a good variety anywhere right now unless I'm willing to take straight run which for a 25 bird order wouldn't help me too much.

So I think I'm going to have to settle with purchasing from agway, which I'f I get my order in this week they should arrive by mid-may. I'll get a little variety (not quite the fancies I was hoping for) and I'll have to hope for some good luck at the upcoming swaps in the area.

I'm just so frustrated that I missed out on my order by one lousy day.
he.gif

Are there any chicken stocks going on in Vermont this spring? Are you close to NH? There are alot going on here.....or just get the incubator

I've thought about getting a 'bator, but the truth is, I've got way too much invested for this season. Between the new home for the chicks, and my pig, I really can't justify the bator yet. I do however have a small fridge I was thinking about turning into an incubator next winter when I've got lots of downtime and I need something to tinker with.

I was kind of hoping to not need an incubator, thus I'm going to build several "broody pens" into my coop, but I still need stock to get things moving.

Unfortunately most of the NH meets are about 2 hours away. That seems like quite a trek to make, but I may end up doing so one of these days, there is at least one nearby swap coming up, but I was a little worried about pinning my entire flock on a swap, and then being disappointed by my options.

I'll definitely be at Springfield! I'm hoping to make it to Rutland, but I'm not sure if I can yet.

I should probably post this elsewhere, but while I'm here...

I've read lots about adding new chicks to a flock, and how there can be issues. If I end up getting chicks from multiple sources over the next 2 months, should they be ok together? Should I brood them separately for temp reasons, or will the chicks move around to where they are comfortable?

Quote:
You'll probably be better off brooding them separately at first. There is a chance one batch may have been exposed to something nasty, then you will run the risk of infecting the entire brooder. It's never a good idea to mix new birds together, or new birds with your current flock. Quarantine your new birds and you will be glad you did if any turn out sick.

Ahhh very good point. But Adding them together when they go into the coop should be ok? I'll obviously keep an eye on everyone to make sure they are getting along.

I think quarateen lasts a month, so it should be fine..
Just check VERY closely for suspicious things like hard breathing or sneezing.
Also watch to make sure they are getting along.
Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom