Everyone make the switch

VBulletin is awesome forum software, I'm on several forums that use it, but it's more complicated to administer (and more secure, as a result), and it costs money. PunBB is open source. Beemaster uses SimpleMachines, which is free, but if you want to support them they offer a subscription for $49.95 a year (which isn't too bad). I agree PunBB isn't quite as easy to use as the others, but it's a far sight better than EZBoard, which I've never been able to stand. I think if I were to run a forum I'd start with SimpleMachines, but that's just me
wink.png

...lol...a lot cheaper (even to buy it outright and pay for the support) than what the community currently costs at ezboard!!!!

Sure, anything is possible if you have the money. I can get 5 more servers to support everything you could ever want and I would load VBulletin (an excellent application) but who's going to pay for that? ezboard has kept their costs low by adding tons of features but having a slow and unsecure environment... please know there are always tradeoffs.

annbal, you are spot on! SMF is a great application and is pretty close to PunBB in philosophy. SMF does have more bells / whistles built in and I was actually close to migrating over a few years ago, but there were some items that were just deal breakers for me. If I had a site that was really big and could pay for itself and the resources required I'd go from punBB to VBulletin... but even that application has issues being as big and popular as it is.

DLH, let's leave it at this: I do this stuff for a living and have MANY years experience and tons of very happy clients and partners. I value feedback, but when it comes to how to run the backend, I haven't found anybody on the forum that has as much experience as I have (if I'm wrong, I'd love to get an email from those people).

I agree with Rob, gang.... Bells and whistles will come with time, so the main focus is having our members able to discuss what they need at this time. Rob, in my opinion, is a master chef of webmastering, and we all know that too many cooks.....(yadayada) So if you trust me at all...let's lighten up for now and let him work his magic.

He's bringing not just a choice (which Yuku discouraged) but has livened up the website itself, gotten the online store open, and launched the "ask peeps" advice page....

See the potential, my peeps....and let's keep our minds open....
smile.png

I can get 5 more servers to support everything you could ever want and I would load VBulletin (an excellent application) but who's going to pay for that?

...sorry if I misunderstood Rob's posting during chat:
...3) I've got experience and current resources to host a forum 5 times as big as this one. I've got access to resources to host a forum 20 times as big. I'm not guaranteeing 100% uptime, but I can guarantee a better forum experience in features, performance, and backukps.

so what is the problem?...that is why I mentioned the VBulletin...folks have always generously supported the community (forum not the website as that is your personal baby and property Rob that you owned when you approached the Ezboard BYC community with the proposition to move here and you did say that CC was in charge of the forum here and she would be the only "cook in the kitchen" ) the cost of VBulletin for CCs community is a MINISCULE fraction of what she said the ezboard cost... my suggestion was truly put forward with the intention of perhaps a solution to some problems.​

Ok, Diana, enough.... What I'm getting here is a feeling that you're begining to badger Rob.
Let me make it clear.
Rob came to me with the best of intentions. He has never disappointed me in any way since he was kind enough to buy the domain name (something I could NOT do) and relaunch our wonderful homepage.
To be so harsh as to behave this way towards him is to doubt my good sense and judgement.

Diana, you have always been one of my biggest supporters. I need you to understand that Rob is not a threat to byc but an asset. One I couldn't have done all the recent improvements without.

I have to get used to everything over here, but it's not too bad. I'm just overjoyed that the computer is allowing me to stay logged in here! My computer's gone haywire during the past year and I would have to relog every time I wanted to make a post on ezboard. I also can't chat or check my pms over there anymore.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy BYC. I wasn't here when there was only the EZ board, so I have no idea what problems they had there, but I think this site is great. Are there things I would like changed? Yes, but I know that this site is band new and still under construction, and everything takes time, so I'll patiently wait. I know that everyone is doing their best to make this site better everyday, and I'm sure at some point we'll all be satisfied with this site. Lets all remember to have Patients.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom