Poults just won't live!

it ended up dying. It was gasping in my hands and i was trying to use a syringe to give it more water and yolk. just no will to thrive, any of them. so annoying. a local breeder has some for me next week. No more mailed turkeys! that's 0/4

I feel fortunate to have just raised the three poults I got with chicks, on wood chips and regular chick starter (although last week did switch to higher protein). They never had any issues and are almost 6 weeks old now. I did pick mine up at the hatchery, the day they hatched.

Sure hope that is the answer for your new babies!

I had this same problem with bourbon reds I got. They were all dying. I made them a mash which they were very delighted to eat out of my hand as well as chick food with some marbles mixed in, and it appears to be working so far, even though it might be a bit soon to tell.

i picked up four from a local lady who hatches from her turkeys. 2 spanish black and 2 blue slate. so far they're 5 days old. longer than the others ever made it. they're on gamebird starter and a water trough with grit on the bottom. looking good. i ended up separating them from my chicks because one of the older ones in particular (5 wks) was picking on them, flipping them up by the foot and the dumb lil turkeys couldn't flip themselves back over.

That's good to hear! Yes, I've definitely had experiences with them flipping on their back and being stuck, though most of the times they kicked themselves upright again. Only floppy-neck couldn't, but there was a lot he couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom