Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

They do look like well-bred racers. Many fanciers seem to be generous with new-comers to the sport! I bet he shared some good birds.

They all have dark eyes? I've heard they are dark when young and lighten with age?

Those pigeons are beautiful! I agree that they look really young and healthy! You did an excellent choice in picking the breeder!

That's great to hear that you guys think they look like they are nice birds. I knew nothing about this, but knew a few guys who really know their stuff, and one of them had some birds for me. He is also a superb dog breeder, so he's sort of in that mindset to begin with.

I was told the eyes do lighten with age, because I had known nearly all homers I had seen had reddish eyes, so I asked why my squeakers eyes were dark and was told they will change with age.

Okay! I suppose eventually you can always add on to fit more pigeons!
big_smile.png
It sounds like it could probably hold 12!

Awesome! I'm in Western Minnesota.

Yeah I will just see how it goes. Western Minnesota is a nice place, that is where I got my pointing lab from, in Osakis, MN. Nice folks up there, reminds me of Northern Michigan.

Sounds good! It is pretty nice, just a little flat.
lol.png

Are the babies settling into their new home well?

I think so, but honestly I wouldn't know what to look for to determine if they weren't. They appear pretty nervous when I open the door to the loft. They are reluctant to enter the aviary, but do so from time to time. I have never seen them eating food yet, but they are pooping everywhere, so I assume they are eating. They have been aloof to me when I approach them, but I'm hoping to change that. Although I was told that pigeons mostly hang on perches, not nest boxes, and only use nest boxes when breeding/setting, etc, I have noticed my squeakers mostly sit in the next boxes, but occasionally I'll find one on a v perch.

They do look like well-bred racers. Many fanciers seem to be generous with new-comers to the sport! I bet he shared some good birds.

They all have dark eyes? I've heard they are dark when young and lighten with age?

Those pigeons are beautiful! I agree that they look really young and healthy! You did an excellent choice in picking the breeder!

Also, I am curious what it is you guys noticed that can tell you that my birds were well bred and healthy? Pardon my ignorance, I am just trying to learn what to look for in a healthy, well bred racer. These are my birds regardless, but I am curious to learn more about what to look for in a good racing homer. Thanks!

I think so, but honestly I wouldn't know what to look for to determine if they weren't. They appear pretty nervous when I open the door to the loft. They are reluctant to enter the aviary, but do so from time to time. I have never seen them eating food yet, but they are pooping everywhere, so I assume they are eating. They have been aloof to me when I approach them, but I'm hoping to change that. Although I was told that pigeons mostly hang on perches, not nest boxes, and only use nest boxes when breeding/setting, etc, I have noticed my squeakers mostly sit in the next boxes, but occasionally I'll find one on a v perch.
If you have not seen them eating you must be feeding free choice? I believe most racing homers are fed a set amount, once or twice a day, depending on when they fly. They also stress its important to always make a whistle or sound when feeding as this will help you be able to call them to the loft as well as build trust with you. Remember the magic of peanuts as Hokum Coco has pointed out
big_smile.png
. Apparently a pigeon is capable of consuming a days ration in 15 - 30 minutes. Then you can pick up the feeder so it doesnt attract mice. If you have time to hand feed they can become even tamer, although I think homers are a bit more aloof than other breeds.

Your babies are not long out of the nest box and maybe that's why they're still hanging in the boxes.
I think its so cool your birds will have a job!
clap.gif
helping train your dog. The history of humans working with pigeons in different ways goes back thousands of years. Some believe their first 'job' was to lure in wild birds which were then eaten. Your training activity, releasing the bird to fly back, is pretty much how racers are trained. So maybe you can race too. Recommended to make the first releases very short distances in different directions so they become familiar with the area.

As far as why I say your birds look great: The health part is easy, like all birds nice shiny feathers(feathers mostly protein a sign of good nutrition) bright clear eyes and clean beak and legs, alert posture, etc. The well-bred racer part I admit exceeds my expertise, BUT, over the last few weeks I immersed myself in over a hundred hours of Racing Pigeon Videos, interviews with winning owners showing off their best birds, loft tours, watching the birds returning from races, etc, etc HAHA(I'm mostly retired so I have time to become obsessed!). Anyway, your birds look to me like they would fit right in. Sleek, well-put together and have that 'born to fly' look. You can never tell for sure what they've got til you race them.

Last edited:
Another thing I learned about pigeons is that bathing is important to them at least once a week. I would put the bath pan in the aviary to keep moisture out of the loft, maybe a reason for making a door on the aviary. Something called bath salts is put in the water for bathing but I'm not sure yet exactly what that is
idunno.gif
. Grit and minerals are also made available - these free-choice.

Back
Top Bottom