Everything Asil Thread ( show off those Asil )

Pics

This cockerel has great potential, but after seeing Saladin's cockerel I see this guys tail angle is way off.

Are you saying/thinking your's are orientals ?

They look more like roundhead american gamefowl .... i assume all american gamefowl that are peacomb have some small amount of oriental blood in them .

You have some nice healthy good looking birds .

I'll have to read up on roundhead american. This cockerel is from a crossing of my paki asil over his original mates and their daughters and daughters daughters so on. So its possible for any american blood to have shown itself.

Thanks for the info and helping me narrow down what may be hiding in my birds.

I've only had a very few Harris Reynolds, and his low percentage projects at that, but noticed that a few were rather small/slight for my liking and showing some signs of inbreeding, including some mental and behavioral signs like slowness, this stupid stupor, and undue aggression to humans and feed buckets. I am very clear, I'm not speaking bad about the line, they are from very capable hands, I am only speaking of some of the ones I've had in my hands (only a very few). But right now I have a nice bullstag 15/16 and hen 7/8 from Jimmy. Still a little slight, but I see improvement and room for improvement. The other hen I have, 7/8 too, does have some of that "stupid stupor, slowness" factor I mentioned. They just act plain weird, I don't know how to explain it. But she's really tame cause of it, lol.

I can't say too much yet, but that 15/16 stag is nice and hard, and beautiful for sure. But that's just what I see through the disaster, I had to leave all my birds with friends for a while and I found him blinked and really rough, he wont get his eye back, but he'll rebound.

That stag is out of the larger, light hen from you Jimmy, I haven't bred the 15/16 stag yet. The stag pictured, his brother and sister (oh his sister, she's sweet!) all show improvements in the right direction, more (for me) normal acting, larger, stronger build, but it is probably due to some sort of hybrid vigor at this point since the sire was my Manuel Reynold (RIP). Still, it nicked great.

Due to the exact nature of the matings employed by the esteemed Mr. Harris, the birds come more variable in certain aspects than birds from some other breeders. They will be variable in size and exact physical type, but uniform in the ways that count. I would not consider them inbred at all, I see a lot of vigor and variability both. You can use that to easily either push certain traits in certain directions, or to make compensation matings. I've been amazed how different my original bird looks after 3-4 years!!

Good to see you post, awesome bird. True, I agree about them maturing very, very slowly, slowest out of all the lines I've had, actually. But that's what's desired by a lot of asil breeders. I wouldn't disagree with anything you said, I'm just a novice anyhow. And too, my birds aren't direct from Mr. Harris.

Back
Top Bottom