Expanding the Garden

ShellLea

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Canton, Ohio
I moved March 1st and only had enough time to put in a small garden and even smaller herb garden. It was disappointing to say the least. I didn't have room for cucumbers or green beans, and no pumpkin or strawberry patch. Now its time to start planning and working for the gardens I want. The herb garden will be moved to the large flower bed. the garden will be tripled in size, making it 20X30 and overtaking the present herb garden. The compost bin will be doubled in size. A pumpkin patch is going behind the swing set. A strawberry patch at the front side of the back yard. And last but not least, a chicken coop and run in the farthest corner. I've got a ton of work on my hands but I am so excited to get started! After the rain, of course! Anyone else with big plans this fall?

I quit my job in March to care for my 89 year old mother. She had a stroke and now she lives with us. So I am building 2 more beds, actually 3 more. My garden is in the front yard, we live in town and the back yard is too shady. So I tuck beds in and around the front yard.
lau.gif
Since I now spend so much time at home, I need more to keep me busy.

I have seen a couple of front yard gardens that were really quite pretty. One lady had tomato plants right at the front door and it looked wonderful with the marigolds surrounding it. She used moss roses in pots to add spots of color to rows of veggies. It was neat to go visit and see how she integrated the plants.
In fact, my moms garden is in their backyard but it is beautiful. She has almost every other row planted to flowers. She gets great germination rates and has tons of ladybugs.
cool.png

I love having flowers in the vegetable garden. I usually put dwarf sunflowers around the edges. Nothing wrong with making the functional pretty! Next year I plan to have a couple of rows of sunflowers with edible seeds.

were expanding our garden this fall also. were gonna make it 2/3rd's bigger about 4700sq' it'll be more work but at least we will be able to walk in betweenn the plants next summer.

I love having flowers in the vegetable garden. I usually put dwarf sunflowers around the edges. Nothing wrong with making the functional pretty! Next year I plan to have a couple of rows of sunflowers with edible seeds.
yes, flowers are not only pretty, they attract bees. i read about and plan on making a big circle of flowers in the center of the garden, it's kinda like the super markets do. it makes the bees fly by all the impulse items to get to what they think they really want.

Back
Top Bottom