EXPERTS NEEDED....How do you store your eggs

Jerseycoop

Songster
8 Years
May 13, 2011
New Jersey
Hi all just got my first egg yesterday and was wondering do the experts leave it out at room temperature or refrigerate? How long are they generally good for and do you need to wash them
hu.gif
thanks for expert advice!

Partially depends on location in my case and room temp can be well over 80 a good part of the year, we refrigerate unless we plan to eat them within 24 hours.

All that we sell are refrigerated....

I keep mine in an 'egg skelter' - a sort of egg roller coaster that ensures that the oldest eggs get used first. It can be kept on the counter or in the fridge, but as we are somewhat sporadic in our egg use, sometimes use a whole bunch at once then go without using any for awhile - another reason I like to use my oldest eggs first- I keep mine in the fridge. I wash them right before using them. If they come in the house dirty, I have a special rough sponge that I only use for eggs to clean them up a bit.

Congrats on your first egg!!!! I keep mine in the fridge. I clean off the one that are really dirty but leave the others be till I am ready to use them. Tell the kids I said hello and I am happy their babies are laying eggs now.
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
My girls are all molting and look absolutely miserable and I am only getting one egg a day from the 11 of them
sad.png
Take care

Another great debate!
big_smile.png
Some will refrigerate their eggs right away... other's will leave them sitting out on the counter in a bowl. Some will wash their eggs as soon as they gather them. Other's won't wash their eggs unless they're obviously dirty.

Eggs will keep for a very long time without refrigeration. Not sure how long, but I remember being in Europe and New Zealand and seeing that their stores don't put the eggs in the refrigerated section. They're out in the regular aisles with such staples as dried pasta or canned goods... and when the customers get the eggs home, they put them in a bowl on the counter tops. Most Europeans/New Zealanders have small dorm sized refrigerators in their kitchens so space is limited.

The only time I really ever wash the eggs is if there's poo on them and then I use those first. Outside of that, I don't bother. Eggs are porous and to wash them can remove the protective coating that's naturally on the shell and allow bacteria to enter. And much like bannerdb, I don't refrigerate unless we get an abundance.

I don't consider myself an expert, but as a farm kid and a sailor I know how to keep eggs! So I'll share what I do
If they are clean, and I mean spotless, they go into a basket on the counter where it is cool all the time (65 degrees or less)
If they are dirty, a little, I wipe them off dry and go into a second basket on the counter (to be eaten soonest)
If really dirty (which I haven't had since keeping the roos locked up separate - they were stepping on them) I wash them off and go in the refrig. since I have quite a few, these get fed to the puppies as a nutrition boost since they are growing so fast.
refrigerators are too cold for most eggs, although they will last for months in there.
To keep long term without refrigeration you can soak them in solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water for 20 minutes, allow to air dry thouroughly then handle only with sterile gloves or meticulously washed hands packed into sawdust or sodium silicate and stored in cool dry dark area
eggs can also be frozen (without the shell) I use a freezer bag and used for baking.
If you have ANY doubts, float test the egg in water, if it floats or even bobs chuk it...
You can also hard boil the egg, I like to leave the shell on till I'm ready to use it
Hope that was helpful, eggs last (surprizingly) for a really long time in the right condition, the store bought kind are usually already months old by the time you get them, what spoils them is the bacteria growing on the shell that eventually works into the egg that's why they are refrigerated, to slow the growth of bacteria, and has an ideal place to live and multiply, the gas produced by these bacteria makes them float in water. Washing an egg removes the protective film on the egg and helps bacteria enter - so I don't wash my eggs.

All great advice..THANK YOU so much for your help. Want to be absolutely safe while handling/cooking with them. It's amazing to see the ratio of refrigerated vs on the counter top..lol thanks again
love.gif

Quote:
I will Patty! How are you? Yes, it was an egg-citing day here yesterday and I'm glad the kids were home from school to see their first egg! It was small but a trophy none-the-less! Good to talk with you again
big_smile.png

Sorry about the molting! My EE is going through it now and it is sad looking...hopefully they'll get their new and beautiful feathers in soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom