External nest box safe height outside coop?

This is the latch system that I use on my coops with external nest boxes. It is secure, easy to install and use. It even holds the lid up. So you can use both hands, when collecting eggs.

Attachments

• 8177CCAC-1163-40A3-A070-78D31CED6CA9.jpeg
    8177CCAC-1163-40A3-A070-78D31CED6CA9.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 29
  • D1AA3CE2-034F-441D-9E0E-D6224AAE3E24.jpeg
    D1AA3CE2-034F-441D-9E0E-D6224AAE3E24.jpeg
    656.2 KB · Views: 26
@Silexian I'm looking at your latch photos and can't figure out what part is what. Could you help, please?
It is a shed door latch. (You can probably be able to find a detailed drawing and description of one online) The T-handle is on top of the lid. When it is turned. It moves the D-ring under the lid, out from under the 2x4 frame of the coop. Allowing the lid to be lifted. When the lid is fully lifted. You turn the D-ring 90 degrees. Which turns the T-handle catching the loop attached to the coop. Holding the lid up. After you collect the eggs. Turn the D-ring back, which releases the T-handle from the loop. Allowing the lid to be lowered. Turn the T-handle back again to lock the lid, securing it against predators. Very easy to install and use.

It is a shed door latch. (You can probably be able to find a detailed drawing and description of one online) The T-handle is on top of the lid. When it is turned. It moves the D-ring under the lid, out from under the 2x4 frame of the coop. Allowing the lid to be lifted. When the lid is fully lifted. You turn the D-ring 90 degrees. Which turns the T-handle catching the loop attached to the coop. Holding the lid up. After you collect the eggs. Turn the D-ring back, which releases the T-handle from the loop. Allowing the lid to be lowered. Turn the T-handle back again to lock the lid, securing it against predators. Very easy to install and use.
Thanks very much, @Silexian. As soon as you said shed door latch and D-ring, I recognized the lock -- we have one on a shed. Took me awhile to figure out from the photos the orientation of the lid to coop, then from your description about "the loop attached to the coop." By "loop" you mean that black handle up above. I see how it all works! Thanks!

Thanks very much, @Silexian. As soon as you said shed door latch and D-ring, I recognized the lock -- we have one on a shed. Took me awhile to figure out from the photos the orientation of the lid to coop, then from your description about "the loop attached to the coop." By "loop" you mean that black handle up above. I see how it all works! Thanks!
No problem. I have worked in the building trades my whole adult life. I sometimes forget that not everyone is quite as familiar with building components as myself. I should have included a picture from the side as well.

Back
Top Bottom