Eye covered in yellow crust, looks like this happened within the last 24 hours

jenvander

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Details (pictures included at the bottom of this post):

1) Buff Orpington hen, 7 months old
2) Yellow crust over the eye, definitely cannot see on that side (she's running into things)
3) Happened within the last 24 hours
4) No other birds exhibiting symptoms at this time
5) Might be an injury; there is a small spot of dried blood on the neck, about 1.5 inches away from the eye
6) We don't know how it happened, but we are pretty sure she did not have this issue yesterday
7) She eats standard layer feed plus free ranging
8) Poop looks normal
9) No treatments done yet; we're not sure what action to take at this time
10 ) Would prefer to treat first at home before resorting to veterinary service
11) Pics below
12) Typical coop with straw, cleaned once per week

IMG_20170924_090233.jpg
IMG_20170924_090240.jpg
IMG_20170924_090309.jpg
IMG_20170924_090317.jpg

There could be a foreign body in the eye, so I recommend flushing liberally with a saline eye wash. Use your bottle of lubrication eye drops if you have it. Then use an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in the eye. You can get it at any feed store in the medicinal section with the wormers.

If you can't find an ophthalmic ointment, use a triple antibiotic such as Neosporin.

Watch for a discharge from the nares which could indicate a respiratory virus.

Thank you so much! Our local feed store opens at noon and I will obtain the supplies as specified. We'll keep close watch over the next couple weeks for the signs of respiratory illness. I will update this thread with results.

There could be a foreign body in the eye, so I recommend flushing liberally with a saline eye wash. Use your bottle of lubrication eye drops if you have it. Then use an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in the eye. You can get it at any feed store in the medicinal section with the wormers.

If you can't find an ophthalmic ointment, use a triple antibiotic such as Neosporin.

Watch for a discharge from the nares which could indicate a respiratory virus.

X2
It could be from a peck or poke to the eye, have dirt/debris in there or the beginning symptoms of respiratory illness.

When you flush with saline, see if you can remove any pus/gunk from the eye as well. Unless you get that out, it can become infected. Hopefully you can find the ointment to go in the eye. You can use Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel.

I did some flushing with saline, but only a little came off. I have some disposable nitrile gloves too, so I'm using a fresh pair for each treatment. I dried the area off by dabbing lightly with sterile gauze, then put in the lubricating eye drops, then topped it with the Neosporin. I'll order the Terramycin or Vertericyn gel online; any other chicken first-aid kit basics I should get while I'm making the order? Our feed stores have very little these days. Apparently, they've been forced to remove a lot from their shelves due to various regulations.

I'll try flushing again in a few hours and see what else can get loose. I'm hoping that this first treatment will help soften up some more of the crust. I didn't want to rub it; I was careful to be as gentle as possible. How often should I repeat this treatment per day? How many days?

I'm wondering if she got into a scrap (she is very aggressive, was the top of the pecking order) or scratched her own eye trying to get out a foreign body.

Here is an updated picture:

IMG_20170924_163526.jpg

Sometimes with gunk or pus in the eye, you may have to use Qtips, tweezers, and liberal flushing with saline to get the eye cleaned well. It may take a few tries over a day or two. Vetropolycin eye ointment is another one you can look for online. It is basically the same as Neosporin, but a sterile eye ointment. It does look a bit like a peck wound or eye injury, but you should be able to tell soon whether it is from that, a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, or from fowl pox around the eye.

Good news! The second flushing was much more productive. In fact, most of it is starting to separate, but it's not quite loose enough to come off. The next flushing might get the majority of the crust off. She is perking up (tried to nip me several times during this second treatment, definitely more fight this time). She's been ranging about and eating, she just needs to do a few turns so her other eye can see what the crusted one is missing.

We'll be monitoring her and the flock very closely for the next couple weeks. I will keep the updates going here.

The supplier did several vaccinations when they were chicks, but I was negligent in getting the list of specifics; I will contact them tomorrow and find out what vaccinations have already been performed.

I've got quite the update. Just call me a big ol' sucker and a softy. Why did it have to be my boys' favorite chicken? I knew these were pets from the start, so I was prepared to deal with that, but if it had been any other in the flock...

Well, it turns out she got her eye pecked out. That blob was a growth that had been underneath her eye, unseen until the eye deflated. I realized it wasn't a typical injury/infection today when I was flushing it out again and that blob moved around, and I could see the black well underneath. I know I could have posted again here, and you all are so wonderful and have such a wealth of expertise, but I didn't know if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing, and...

Knowing the attachment my boys have to this particular chicken, I took her to the vet. At least I negotiated it down to less than half price, but this chicken had surgery today. The dead eye was removed, along with the damaged eyelid. I have to give her an antibiotic injection each day for the next week, and throw away all eggs for two weeks.

If you knew the hardships my youngest son has been through this past year (he's 10), you'd understand why I couldn't destroy his favorite gal. Doesn't stop me from feeling a bit of a fool though.

Now that I know what was going on... if I see another poked-out eye, is there something I could have done at home that would have given her a chance, or is the choice truly euthanize vs. vet? From a strictly scientific/medical standpoint, I completely understand the concern about infection and necrosis. But I do wonder if I could have avoided the drama of chicken surgery :hmm

At least now I have confirmation that we have no disease issue.

Back
Top Bottom