Eye infection/injury?? Eye has gone blind and gray- pics

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I also got several PMs from helpful people. I'm leaning towards an injury, but am not sure if the eye will heal on its own or if it will need a vet's intervention. Continuing treatment and will watch for improvement, if none seen within a week I have located a local vet who will see chickens. If she wasn't my top Cream Legbar breeder hen I wouldn't consider a vet bill for her though!

The eye is looking better today, thank goodness! I can see the differentiation of her pupil today, and when I was massaging the meds in this morning a pocket of fluid burst out. Kind of gross but probably feels better to her.

The eye is looking better today, thank goodness! I can see the differentiation of her pupil today, and when I was massaging the meds in this morning a pocket of fluid burst out. Kind of gross but probably feels better to her.
That is good news!

Was there a foreign object in the fluid?

So glad to hear you are seeing some progress - I bet now that the fluid has been released, you'll see faster improvement.
smile.png

I hadn't seen any improvement since three days ago and was getting worried, but today again I see a difference in the swelling AND the "lump" at the center of her eye has reduced in size to where her eyeball is nearly smooth again. Phew! Not out of the woods yet but I think she's on the way. She may be permanently blind in that eye, time will tell. It is a lighter "milky" gray now instead of the solid dark gray. Still eating and drinking well. Bad cell phone picture, but you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom