eye injury - unsure on how to continue. eye looks like a complete loss

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
Tater Tot is a 1yr old BBRed OEGB

It’s been 3 days since i first noticed his eye was shut and the swelling. I think he got into a fight as that side of his face was a little bloody. It has progressively gotten worse but he has started to opened his eye. There’s pus and a clear, gel-type discharge. I have saline solution that I had been rinsing it out with daily but I don’t no what to do nor do I have any triple antibiotic ointment that can go in the eye. His eye looks beyond saving. I don’t know what to do beyond going to a vet or trying to remove it myself????

pictures of his eye
0AAFD601-23EB-45B9-8AE9-551F845433DF.jpeg
8E7341A4-FFD3-4D93-84E4-5D3D9BB68A73.jpeg

the black on his comb is from frostbite. and there’s some mud.
44A4C877-90C5-4EFF-96AE-7B87D436722E.png
62FEFBD1-7313-4E75-97DF-3F59BECF3C3A.jpeg

You can use regular plain Neosporin twice a day if you cannot find Terramycin eye ointment at your feed store. I would continue to flush with saline or eye wash. It does look possibly ruptured, but I would continued to clean it.

The gelatinous discharge could be the vitreous matter inside the eye, but I would treat it for at least a week or two, to make sure. Is a vet possible?

My hen wasn't injured, but the eye was seriously infected. The eye may not function, but you can at least try to stop the infection.
At this point, I don’t care much whether he can see out of it or not, I just want it to stop hurting/heal however much possible because I know it is bothering him something awful.

Back
Top Bottom