EZ Plucker

thumbsup.gif

One day I'd love to have one of those!

We got one last fall, and I think it's amazing. The first time I processed, we plucked by hand, and I knew I would never process again if I had to do that by hand. I'm still amazed every time you drop one in, and 20 seconds later it comes out looking as good as grocery store chickens. Very worthwhile.

I am hoping to get one with my tax return. I hope I get something back so I can buy one. I want to order meaties to process in a few months but not until I have a plucker. I did two ducks by hand and it's not something I have time to do with full time work, kids, inlaws, hubby and all my other farm work.

Glad you got one, let us know how you like it.

Are they hard to clean after they've been used? Do you just use bleach and water or what?

We have been skinning our chickens up until now because the plucking is soooooo time-consuming and such a big pain in the neck. We've only processed about half a dozen birds so far and have decided that the rest are going to wait on-deck for an extra week or so until the plucker gets here. Right now, we have 6 more roosters that we have to process, and these are all old so they're all going to be for soups and stews and low-and-slow roasts.

So far, we only have processed the extra roosters that have hatched out in our yard and in Gryeyes'/Linda's yard, but we want to start raising & processing better meat birds. I really don't want to do the cornish crosses but am thinking we might do the full cornishes... the white laced reds are really pretty! Ideal has buff cornishes, white laced reds, and of course, the dark cornishes. We were thinking we might order a buncha little roos and go from there. Roos are cheap.

Do you mind if I ask where you ordered it from? I'm interested in getting one - I've processed about a dozen and plucking by hand is so tiresome - it wouldn't be near so bad a job if I could just avoid that aspect of it. Until now I haven't been able to justify the cost since I was just doing the occasional accidental roo, but like you, I'd like to look into doing a little more deliberate meat raising.

If you have a freight depot near you, you can save a lot of $ by having your plucker delivered to the depot and picking it up there, instead of getting it delivered to your house.

I've been looking at these for a while. For those who have used these, is there a model # you would recommend? We do about 50 chickens total for the year--usually in 1 or 2 batches. This year I may do a few more, but probably not much.

Can I get away with the low end model, or am I asking for trouble?

If you have a freight depot near you, you can save a lot of $ by having your plucker delivered to the depot and picking it up there, instead of getting it delivered to your house.

We are fortunate to live on an alpaca ranch that is also a business. Having it delivered here as a business saved us almost $100 on shipping. It's more than an hour's drive to the nearest depot, and we don't have a truck. They can bring it here.

They did get it shipped out a little late & it won't be here until Wednesday or Thursday, but the important thing is that it is on its way!

Rico gets to be the first roo to go for a ride in Mr. Plucker. I'm sick of that little so-and-so attacking me every time I go into the yard.

ETA: We ordered the EZ-98, which is the low end model (they have one that is lower, but it does not come with a motor... by the time you buy a motor and have it installed, you would have been better off money-wise buying the one with the motor already in it). Because we are just processing for personal use, I am sure it will be adequate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom