Fall chick raising

maidenwolfx80

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 26, 2012
missouri
Fall seems to be the last effort to raise some chicks that will be ready to lay when the snow melts. I hope everyone is successful with their chicks and eggs. I myself have never done them this late in the year, will it be too cold out by time they are 6 wks and ready for the coop?

What your temps currently? Many people down here raise chicks in the fall.

Fall seems to be the last effort to raise some chicks that will be ready to lay when the snow melts. I hope everyone is successful with their chicks and eggs. I myself have never done them this late in the year, will it be too cold out by time they are 6 wks and ready for the coop?
I guess it depends on where you live, but they should be feathered out pretty well by then. I am getting day olds Oct 1. and plan to have them outside by mid November.

Temps here in MO right now are in teh 70's in the daytime and low 50's at night. MO weather can change in a heartbeat and we can see pretty cold weather. If I order today I can get them next week so sometime in Nov they would be ready to adventure out to the coop. Is this too late?

I was thinking of gettting a few chicks as well this fall - am worried about the tempertures as well. Live on Vancouver Island, BC..... a litle worried about the temperture? We have a heat lamp in the coop for when it gets colder.

Yea your temps will be colder than mine. I wish you lots of luck. I am sure wit the added heat lamp it will help I am just too worried about fire or if we lose power they will freeze because they are not totally used to the cold..

Hey neighbor(sort of)! I'm in Spokane, WA. We're getting our chicks on Oct.15th-ish. Our friends who have large flocks have said getting them in fall is fine since you want to keep them inside until they're fully feathered anyway, and if you get cold-hardy breeds then a heat lamp should be fine for them. You just want to make sure their water doesn't freeze.

Temps here in MO right now are in teh 70's in the daytime and low 50's at night. MO weather can change in a heartbeat and we can see pretty cold weather. If I order today I can get them next week so sometime in Nov they would be ready to adventure out to the coop. Is this too late?

Hello neighbor. We (the hubs and myself) are in MO also...and will be incubating our first eggs this week. They're due to hatch (around) October 18-20th and will be in the *non insulated*, but well ventilated and well sealed chicken coop by themselves around December 20th(ish). I spoke with several local chicken raisers including a very nice Amish couple, as well as a few 'older' farmers and the builder I'm getting the coop from.

All of them said - your chickens will be just fine. You don't need heat in "that thar coop" and ya don't need any of that other stuff. Put some Sweets in there and some DE and small aggregate and they'll be fine. I asked about heating the coop and they said all I would do if I did that was harm the chickens because they are created to withstand all sorts of temps and fluctuations in weather. Heating a coop is bad for the bird (they said) because it can cause more respiratory problems. It would be like us walking out of a sauna and into a blizzard - several times a day.

I asked about insulation and they said it's the same concept. As long as you have 2 or more chicks and your coop is WELL SEALED (not allowing drafts and rain/snow in at all) they're fine. They told me to just stick them out there at 8 weeks and leave them to do what chickens do. LOL

I have said it before and I will say it again...I have NEVER raised chickens, but I make it a point to speak to a lot of local folks who do, and experience is always the best advice (imo).

[Edit] They did tell me to go out a few times a day and make sure their water wasn't iced over but otherwise they'll be fine.

Last edited:
Hey neighbor(sort of)! I'm in Spokane, WA. We're getting our chicks on Oct.15th-ish. Our friends who have large flocks have said getting them in fall is fine since you want to keep them inside until they're fully feathered anyway, and if you get cold-hardy breeds then a heat lamp should be fine for them. You just want to make sure their water doesn't freeze.
Hello
frow.gif
I am ready for the babies ordered today (list below) gonna make a homemade water heater..

Hello neighbor. We (the hubs and myself) are in MO also...and will be incubating our first eggs this week. They're due to hatch (around) October 18-20th and will be in the *non insulated*, but well ventilated and well sealed chicken coop by themselves around December 20th(ish). I spoke with several local chicken raisers including a very nice Amish couple, as well as a few 'older' farmers and the builder I'm getting the coop from.

All of them said - your chickens will be just fine. You don't need heat in "that thar coop" and ya don't need any of that other stuff. Put some Sweets in there and some DE and small aggregate and they'll be fine. I asked about heating the coop and they said all I would do if I did that was harm the chickens because they are created to withstand all sorts of temps and fluctuations in weather. Heating a coop is bad for the bird (they said) because it can cause more respiratory problems. It would be like us walking out of a sauna and into a blizzard - several times a day.

I asked about insulation and they said it's the same concept. As long as you have 2 or more chicks and your coop is WELL SEALED (not allowing drafts and rain/snow in at all) they're fine. They told me to just stick them out there at 8 weeks and leave them to do what chickens do. LOL

I have said it before and I will say it again...I have NEVER raised chickens, but I make it a point to speak to a lot of local folks who do, and experience is always the best advice (imo).

[Edit] They did tell me to go out a few times a day and make sure their water wasn't iced over but otherwise they'll be fine.
I agree, I do not plan on heating the coop at all.Gonna wrap it in plastic that you use on your house windows. I know from my gparents that using artificial heat is bad news, glad to see the word is being pasted along. Hey maybe one of those old timers you spoke to was my gpa lol "that thar coop" sounds like him.. lol I think I have everything in liine. Thank you all for the advice. I ordered my birds today. Australorp, langshan, dark brahma, RIR, SLW.. They will be here next week. I am so excited

I have 1 week old red and black broilers from Ideal poultry. We lost a few in shipping, it took 3 days to get them to SW Ohio from TX.Not sure I'll order from there again, just because of the distance. Anyway, I have to share a picture of the brooder we found at a local poultry supply shop. its made of sheet metal on the outside, has a light on the inside, a window and a heating element and a thermostat. It works GREAT so far.... the temp dipped to upper 30's the other night, and everyone stayed warm and toasty.

Back
Top Bottom