Farm tractor accident

Prayers for you and your family!

Lately there has been a rash of tractor accidents, almost all of them were fatal. Many of them were rollovers. I thought many of them have roll bars but some older tractors do not and many of them do not wear seat belts.

All you can do is wait...and if the family wants to donate organs, it would be the time to think about it IF and WHEN the hospital and doctors can not keep him alive anymore.

One day at a time..........wish for better news.

Aww, I'm so sorry Spook. I've seen what tractors can do to people and they can certainly be dangerous machines. I'll definitely keep him in my thoughts.

Spook...
hugs.gif

I am sending prayers for your uncle. Tractors and motorcycles are very unforgiving. I have lost dear friends from both. I hope with all my heart that will not be the case here.

Well...an update as we go along.

The doctors have amputated my uncles right leg.
Left leg being operated on, trying to save that one.
Tractor pinned him, doing some pretty heavy duty
damage.

Some pretty good other damage...he still hasn't responded
or come to. My uncle is 69...one of Dad's "baby brothers".

I know the family is there through the night. They've gathered.
I've seen it before, firsthand. I would just as soon not relive
the memory.

One of the rare days when I've actually done nothing. I couldn't
get focused. My heart is very much broken by this thing. I got
on my own tractor to mow the grass...it's still setting in the yard.
I made almost one whole pass before I parked it and walked
away. As a rule I don't even let my tractor get wet, much less
set outside. Maybe tomorrow I'll put it up. Most of the day, I've
just sat.

His didn't have a rollbar. And even then, I don't know that that
would of saved him. Me, I have a rollbar. Pretty much useless,
more of a show-bar. It pins in the middle and I've always kept it folded down. A lot of trees in the yard, and I keep it down to clear
the limbs. (I've had roll cages in the race cars...serious things,
built to protect you. They aren't for show.)

And I'm not a farmer...I've got turf tires on. From experience, I
know I don't have any real traction. I've got an overgrown lawn mower.

Where I said I got a tractor up on one wheel, almost flipped it?
Dad saw it happen. That's when he traded, got our first four wheel drive tractor. Our old one? The dealer we traded it in to, he picked
it up and flipped it unloading at his yard.

So, those of you that have tractors...please be careful out there.
Great tools, but you gotta know they can get you down. Like so
many tools we use, you have got to respect them. Years ago our
4-H leader, he had an issue with his corn picker. And it ate him up.
I know people laugh at me because I simply refuse to go sideways on a grade. I just won't do it.

Those few memories I shared about my uncle when I was young? Those and a hundred more crossed my mind today. I've had some pretty cool uncles. Time has thinned them out on me. But each
uncle, each aunt, has had a special place in my life. From the good, the bad, and every thing in between, these people have been the mentors in my life.

Just like my telling about Harry and the movies...so many awesome people have been a part of my life. And each one has touched my
life and in some way, they have each one made my life the better for knowing them.

And however this ends with my Uncle...I know that he has made my life the better for being in it. Those stories a while back about jerking the bumpers off some trucks?...yeah, they were his trucks.

Dad's youngest brother, he's just a few years older than I am. More like a brother than an uncle, he grew up in our home with me. Grandma died when he was just a boy. He lived with us until he grew up, got married.

As a fireman, I've seen life, and I've seen death. I've seen the young born and I've seen the old die. I know there's other first responders here and they know what I'm talking about. I try not to let it bother me. But each time, each one, they're forever a part of me. And there are nights when my dreams won't let me sleep. Awful dreams. And they come more and more.

This year, after Dad's death, I've walked away from the fire department. I'm having some troubles, and I need time to deal
with it. I can't go out there and give 100% right now. I can't go out there and deal with getting one of my brothers hurt.

I've given all I've got to give right now.

And this thing with my Uncle...probably my favorite Uncle, one I've looked up to my entire life...it's hard.

Spook the lost

Last edited:
Write it all down.
It is running through your head anyway.
It will give you something to do so you won't feel like you are doing nothing.
And it is important work.
It needs to be done, and you do it so well.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom