Faverolle Attacked

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
A young Fav was attacked by the other bantams in the run today. She is every bit as BIG as the bantams (especially the Seramas), though younger, and just didn't move or defend herself. Her behind looks to have been pecked through to the vent. Another was attacked a couple of days ago, but is doing just fine and seems completely healed. Those were more surface wounds, though.

Question -- Will she survive without medical treatment or is it more humane to end her suffering?

Quote:
Might help if you can post pics, not sure what you mena by pecked through to the vent? chickens can over come alot, I would keep her separated from the others and after cleaning out the wound spray blue-kote on her, it's great for healing and also disquises the wound. was it more than one bird who attacked her or was it just one?

It was several chickens that were establishing their pecking order when they saw her. She sat in a corner and didn't try to get away, so the wound was deeper than it would've been. I have her separated but she's not moving much. Not sure if she can feed or water herself.

73631_fav_wound.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sorry thias happened, she was probably too young to be with the older ones and didn't know how to help herself, plus if they are low in pecking order to begin with they won't do much on the defensive. The wound looks bad but it's amazing what they can come back from if given TLC. You should clip the feathers around the wound so when the wound closes the feathers won't get stuck in it. wash with soap and water and rinse well then use neosporin or some other type of salve w/o pain relief. make sure you keep her in a dry clean area so it will heal and less chance of infection. does she have a chick thats close to her age that can stay with her after a few days of healing? Get blue-kote to spray on the wound after a couple of days. then if she does have a buddy the wound will be disquised by the b-k and will be healing up. you'll have to make sure she eats and drinks. if you can get some electrolytes to add to her water and try to get her to eat some yummy things like scrambled eggs and cut up grapes plus of course her chick feed. hopefully she heal without any complications. Then when you start to put her back you'll need to stir up the pecking order by removing the top 2 or 3 chicks for a couple of days to a week then after she has been with the group start adding in the top ones again, that way they have lost some statice in the flock and hopefully will not gang up on her again. all the while monitoring this very closely. Hope i have helped some, wishing full recovery.
fl.gif

Faverolles as a breed, are generally very docile birds that usually wont fight nor flight...they tend to take the beatings from others, and are almost always at the bottom of the pecking order. The results are injuries, sometimes very serious injuries. I used to have Faverolles and kept them seperated from the others with their own coop and pen. Sorry you're dealing with this.

Well, she died quietly last night. I'm not surprised.

It's definitely the breed. I've added chicks her age to that flock before with absolutely no problems and they'd been there for a couple weeks before this happened. The two GLWs didn't have any problems with the general flock.

It's really too bad, because I would've liked to keep them. Guess I'll have to wait until I can dedicate an entire coop to that one breed.

Sorry too for your loss.

We had the same thing happen with our full size Faverolles. We have a content mix of full size and bantam breeds; but came home to find one of the Faves picked so badly that I had to put her down. They are such a pleasure. I knew how docile they were, but they were the largest body size chickens we had.

Back
Top Bottom