Faverolles Thread

My flock divides into small groups at night.

One group of 3 have their designated spot and nobody bothers them about it.... A group of 4 crowd into a corner and take turns dog-piling until they get tired of it
idunno.gif
Every night it's the same routine with that group! Then a group of 4 pile into a separate corner, but with much less jocking for position. And a few sporadically sit alone.

I have had to teach a few of mine to get on a roost. I just sold a trio of Cochins that I had to teach. For 2 nights I went and sat them up on the roost.... I think the roo still preferred to sit on top of the nest box
lol.png

In the coop I have a multi-level loft situation and one 8' roost bar (a 4" fence post). We went with the loft idea to create more indoor space for the long wet months.....works very well.

Your girls sound funny!

Yes, the nest box is on the ground and the shelf to the roost is about 28" high. I am hoping this isn't too high. I've seen them that high on the dog crate so I know they can do it.

I did close the nest box tonight! Hope that starts to help!!
They did have a low perch here (20" I think) as they were still in the grow out pen. Not sure if that's what's causing the problem. The keepers that I've moved to the main pen like the 4' height in there.

I think my roosting bar is at 3 feet, the loft is about the 4 foot height. I have a mason block upright on it's side for a jumping point for the little ones. They spring up on the top of the mason block and then jump onto the loft from there...

Yesterday there was a break in the deluge we've been having so I went out and snapped a few pics of the flock....The first one is the "Second Annual BOSS Family Picnic!" (I gave them a treat:)

PeeWee and a couple of the girls

The two boys I recently got from Cloverleaf

PeeWee and his favorite sparring partner, the light pullet I got from Keesmom

PeeWee again with two other girls, the one with the dark smudge on her back is the roo's favorite girl, she's the other pullet I got from Keesmom

This is why I keep the hay bales covered! The birds love to have siesta on the hay, but I wouldn't want to eat it afterwards!
sickbyc.gif

The two boys checking out the barn for the first time!

Yes, the nest box is on the ground and the shelf to the roost is about 28" high. I am hoping this isn't too high. I've seen them that high on the dog crate so I know they can do it.

My girls have 3 and "a little" roosts. 3 are 8' long, Two of those are parallel to each other at 4' (18" apart). One is a 3" round fence rail, the other a 2x4 on the flat. One 3" round fence rail at 2', parallel to and 9" forward of the forward 4' roost. The "and a little" is a 30" 2x4 on edge that exists (in my design anyway) only to hold up the free end of the 4' high roosts. When they were little, they all clustered on the "and a little" roost with the overflow ending up on the real roosts. Now some are there, others at the other end of both 4' roosts by the wall. I've never seen any of them roost on the 2' fence rail.

Some girls will hop to the 2' then to the forward 4', others will fly straight to the 4'. But, EVERY one of them can get to the forward 4' roost (or 4' gates or fences) straight shot with NO problem. One thing I have learned about chickens and fences. a 4' fence will keep them right where THEY want to be.

The pole in front of the nest box is about 18" off the ground and the hole into the box about 21". So no, 28" is far from too high
smile.png

Bruce

They did have a low perch here (20" I think) as they were still in the grow out pen. Not sure if that's what's causing the problem. The keepers that I've moved to the main pen like the 4' height in there.

Hi Keesmom!

Thanks for that background. They like to sleep in a pile on the ground like the silkies!
lol.png

Well, tonight I picked them up and placed them on the roost! I did this about 2 hours ago and when I just checked, they were still up there! Baby steps. BTW, one of them laid an egg and it was tiny! Smaller than my silkie egg. LOL. I know it will get bigger. It was off-white. Sweet.
Also, they are really sweet and friendly! And everyone says they're the prettiest ones I have. I just love love their colors. Thanks again!

My girls have 3 and "a little" roosts. 3 are 8' long, Two of those are parallel to each other at 4' (18" apart). One is a 3" round fence rail, the other a 2x4 on the flat. One 3" round fence rail at 2', parallel to and 9" forward of the forward 4' roost. The "and a little" is a 30" 2x4 on edge that exists (in my design anyway) only to hold up the free end of the 4' high roosts. When they were little, they all clustered on the "and a little" roost with the overflow ending up on the real roosts. Now some are there, others at the other end of both 4' roosts by the wall. I've never seen any of them roost on the 2' fence rail.

Some girls will hop to the 2' then to the forward 4', others will fly straight to the 4'. But, EVERY one of them can get to the forward 4' roost (or 4' gates or fences) straight shot with NO problem. One thing I have learned about chickens and fences. a 4' fence will keep them right where THEY want to be.

The pole in front of the nest box is about 18" off the ground and the hole into the box about 21". So no, 28" is far from too high
smile.png

Bruce

Your girls sound like they live in a castle! A smorgasbord of roosting options!
Ha ha about 4' keeping them where they want to be!

I am trying the Sweet PDZ poop board in the coop. I have a 2' wide shelf that's 28" off the ground, and then running above it is the roost--a 3" in diameter natural tree branch that's 12" above the shelf.
That's where I plopped them tonight! No more silkie pile for them!

Thanks for assuring me that my roost isn't too high.
wink.png

I was wondering if they had started laying yet. All the ones I still have here are now laying. In fact I'm up to my eyeballs in eggs! A first for this time of year. Usually I have to resort to buying eggs for Christmas baking.

I was wondering if they had started laying yet. All the ones I still have here are now laying. In fact I'm up to my eyeballs in eggs! A first for this time of year. Usually I have to resort to buying eggs for Christmas baking.

Christmas cookies galore! Congratulations. Your family will be happy about that!

Well, so I know all my other girls' eggs, so I know this new egg is from one of your girls. I would have assumed the older shier girl laid it but the younger one "squats" for me if I go to pick her up or pat her back. Might she be the one, you think? The older does not squat.
I've only found one of theirs so far so I haven't caught anyone in the act. Of course, I have caught both of them spending a lot of time in the nest box....at night sleeping though!!
wink.png

Hello. I am from Belgium and new here on this forum. First of all, excuse me for my poor English. In Belgium the only colour you can find from this breed is salmon. So now i am looking for hatching eggs from the large faverolles in any colour but the salmon. Any help is welcome but it is not that easy! Thank you in advance

1st of all
welcome-byc.gif
2nd how hard is it to import birds to Belgium??? I'm thinking it pro would not be to hard from other EU countries... but then i might be wrong lol... if u have facebook search for Beanwood Faverolles... i forget where exactly they are but they should be able to help connect u to others that have them... keep us posted and we all love pic's ;)
Hello. I am from Belgium and new here on this forum. First of all, excuse me for my poor English. In Belgium the only color you can find from this breed is salmon. So now i am looking for hatching eggs from the large faverolles in any color but the salmon. Any help is welcome but it is not that easy! Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom