Faverolles Thread

Thanks everyone for the pictures and explanation for the five toes. Now I can go out and take a second look at my chickens. Maybe they do have them - or some of them at least. I will have to check under the feet feathers!! hehe

Thanks everyone for the pictures and explanation for the five toes. Now I can go out and take a second look at my chickens. Maybe they do have them - or some of them at least. I will have to check under the feet feathers!! hehe
thumbsup.gif

I purchased blue Faverolles hatching eggs from a breeder. Actually, from 2 different breeders. Some aren't ready to hatch yet (some are bantams). I know you are supposed to get 25% blacks from the crossing of blues. Two of my chicks are nice blues...a pair. Should the black from crossing blues look like this?

My rooster got his spur stuck in the fence and ripped it right out.
sad.png
Should I be worried?

No. You can remove spurs if you want to. If he isn't bleeding a lot he's fine. Stop the bleeding and let him go about his business. It will be a little sore, like you tearing or losing a nail so watching him so he isn't getting kicked around by others since he has no spur on that side to defend himself. He'll live.

Thanks, there was a bit of blood, gruesome... I think he will be fine.

I am glad to have known what to say. I have had a few breeds here with five toes and they seem to catch on things which worries me more than the spurs. I learned about removing spurs last year when this friend of mine showed me her cockerel who had this spur that was nearly as long as his leg! It was insane. Hot potatoes seem to be the trick, but I digress. I should have recommended blue kote or blue food dye to the area because, as you probably know, chickens love to peck at red things.

Back
Top Bottom