Faverolles Thread

Our precious little rooster. . His feathering looks much different than other rooster's at this age..

When I got chickens back in march, I had been contemplating getting them at all. I did not know how much effort it would be, but I did my research for three months before getting them, and got prepared.

I ended up with salmon faverolle breed, no what I thought I had, but I am so glad I got these girls!

They are so loveable and cute! Every time I go outside, they run up to me and greet me with soft little squaks. They also love to have attention, but are not fond of being held. So I do not handle them too much because they get scared. I check them daily for bugs and a healthy vent.

Today, I was petting them under their beaks, which they love. I cupped my hands around their wings and gave a nice scratch around the wings and back, and oh my they loved it!!! They loved the scratching and petting were talking up a storm :) It almost seemed like a submissive squat but they loved it and it was absolutely adorable. I am so happy that they are loveable and nice. I love this breed. Would recommend this breed to anyone! I got them for egg production, so I have to wait another month before they might start laying. But even if they do not lay all too well, they are wonderful pets!

So frustrated! I bought some Salmon Fav hatching eggs from Coastline Poultry (which were wonderfully packaged and arrived very quickly!) and placed them under my broody Silkies. Well, someone broke two of the Fav eggs, and one Favaucana (I got 4 as a bonus!) egg within the first couple of days. It was due to a nest box jam, not an egg eater. So I put the nest boxes in my big wire dog crate, and one of the dern hens left her box and piled up in the other! The eggs were not too cool, so I stuck them back under a hen. I don't know if they're still viable, but I'm crossing my fingers...

Sigh... guess I just need to get myself an incubator.

Last edited:
I am guessing you will be ok, if there are other eggs that they have been sitting on just know that whom ever hatches first will get her attention when they need to start finding food….(so if they are 2 or more days ahead of the new eggs i would remove the older eggs.) Is she broody or just sitting to lay her egg when you see her???/

Best of luck, eliz

FYI
I once lost 2 very special eggs because i thought they were abandoned and were cool after being sat on for almost an hatching cycle. i always crack and see how far they came….only to find they were alive but couldn't save Even up to the last moment a hen can and will leave a nest and come back.

Last edited:
I am guessing you will be ok, if there are other eggs that they have been sitting on just know that whom ever hatches first will get her attention when they need to start finding food….(so if they are 2 or more days ahead of the new eggs i would remove the older eggs.) Is she broody or just sitting to lay her egg when you see her???/

Best of luck, eliz

FYI
I once lost 2 very special eggs because i thought they were abandoned and were cool after being sat on for almost an hatching cycle. i always crack and see how far they came….only to find they were alive but couldn't save Even up to the last moment a hen can and will leave a nest and come back.

Thanks a bunch elizmartin! That make me feel a whole lot better! :D I had a whole gob of broody Silkies, so I thought I'd take advantage of the situation and let them hatch me some more Faverolles! The ones that the hen left were exposed for less than 24 hours, and it's been in the 90's here all week, so fairly sure they didn't get terribly cold. They're due to hatch around July 4th, so I'll keep you guys posted!

fl.gif
bow.gif
jumpy.gif
<~~~ Praying to the chicken gods for a decent hatch, and a COCKEREL!!!

Anyway, update pics of my (almost)3 month olds:
Suie still looks henny to me, but I'm no expert by any stretch! It's mainly the small/pale combs and wattles that keeps me thinking pullet.

Laci is my lightest, is she maybe a blue salmon?

Chouette has the speckled breast, but I like it... reminds me of an owl a little!
(Not sure I like those toes... they both point downwards)

Fauve has started getting some black in her beard and muffs... I hope it molts out!

And Marron is turning out a bit dark over her topside. I think she looks nice though.

Oh, and Gossie is just bein' Gossie! She has a little watermelon juice in her beard.

Thanks a bunch elizmartin! That make me feel a whole lot better! :D I had a whole gob of broody Silkies, so I thought I'd take advantage of the situation and let them hatch me some more Faverolles! The ones that the hen left were exposed for less than 24 hours, and it's been in the 90's here all week, so fairly sure they didn't get terribly cold. They're due to hatch around July 4th, so I'll keep you guys posted!

fl.gif
bow.gif
jumpy.gif
<~~~ Praying to the chicken gods for a decent hatch, and a COCKEREL!!!

Anyway, update pics of my (almost)3 month olds:
Suie still looks henny to me, but I'm no expert by any stretch! It's mainly the small/pale combs and wattles that keeps me thinking pullet.

Laci is my lightest, is she maybe a blue salmon?

Chouette has the speckled breast, but I like it... reminds me of an owl a little!
(Not sure I like those toes... they both point downwards)

Fauve has started getting some black in her beard and muffs... I hope it molts out!

And Marron is turning out a bit dark over her topside. I think she looks nice though.

Oh, and Gossie is just bein' Gossie! She has a little watermelon juice in her beard.
Suie is definitely a pullet despite her darker chest. Laci looks salmon to me. What was in the flock you got them from? I wouldn't worry too much about Chouette's toes, just see how the rest of her turns out. As long as she has no extra toes or nails it isn't that big a deal.

Back
Top Bottom