Faverolles Thread

I got my Frou Frou from My Pet Chicken.  She is sweet to me and pretty BUT (here is the big butt. ;)) she is beardless.  She is 24 weeks old and not yet laying though she is showing interest in the nests.

I have heard MPC gets their Faverolles from Meyers.

Thank you for the information! :)

Thank you for the information!
smile.png

I'll see if she'll pose for some pictures so you can see what a beardless SF looks like. Also she is far from meek with the other chooks. If we didn't already have a few hens that were older when we got our chicks from MPC Frou Frou would have been the top of the pecking order. She likes to boss the others around while not being a bully.

I was hoping that someone on this thread would be able to lead me in the right direction. I would like a flock of Salmon Favorelles. These would be just for my personal flock. I appreciate the quality from breeders and would prefer these over hatchery stock. But, I may not have much for options here in Iowa. If there is a hatchery that has good stock, I'd love to know. I am looking to get them next Spring or Fall. If anyone has any suggestions for chicks, please let me know.

Thanks!!

I got mine through efowl. The ones that survived the welsummers have been good birds.

Can anyone recommend a good salmon favorelle breeder to buy hatching eggs from? Doesn't have to be BYCer, just looking for some really nice quality lines =)

I was hoping that someone on this thread would be able to lead me in the right direction. I would like a flock of Salmon Favorelles. These would be just for my personal flock. I appreciate the quality from breeders and would prefer these over hatchery stock. But, I may not have much for options here in Iowa. If there is a hatchery that has good stock, I'd love to know. I am looking to get them next Spring or Fall. If anyone has any suggestions for chicks, please let me know.

Thanks!!
I have not purchased from a hatchery for awile but for more traditional coloration i think Cackle and Sandhill have been close…..Many hatcherys are begining to have darker non traditional……Often wonder where their stock comes from.

I have not purchased from a hatchery for awile but for more traditional coloration i think Cackle and Sandhill have been close…..Many hatcherys are begining to have darker non traditional……Often wonder where their stock comes from.

I got some Meyer Fav chicks from a feed store last year to keep a singleton hatchling company. While they would never be confused with my breeders, overall they were better than expected. A couple were on the darker side but not so much that they were thought to be males. Most had decent muffs/beards, combs, toes and tight wings. Plus even coloring, none had that 2 tone look to them.

Last edited:
Just sharing a pic of my Salmon Faverolles X Gold Laced Wyandotte hen. She's about 8 months old.

She lays quite a large typically brown shaded egg. She has a funny flighty personality like her Salmon Fav mum. Her dad was the GLW. I really like her feathering shes very fluffy and is quite a large stocky bird.

This is her as a chick.

I have lavender cochins, buff orpington chicks. 3 Roosterscoring and one hen lol. I love my faverolle hens! So sweet and loving.

What Temps are ok for this breed?

I have a coop and a mini run attached to the coop. I level the coop door open to the mini run so the girls CNN get out eat drink roam a bit before I wake up and open the door to the larger run. Temps are 32 to 36. It can get as low as 18 or 20, but that's in Dec and Jan and rare. It's typically 28 on average in winter at night and early morning. I shut the door tonight to let the coop warm up with their body heat. I am not sure if leaving it open will make it too cold for them? I read they can handle cold weather. I am still averaging an egg every other day from each hen still which is great and one is f in Nishimura her molt still.

Back
Top Bottom