Faverolles Thread

Thanks! Yeah I'm not sure I can tell much from that picture, but he looks like has some nice colors coming!

I purchased from Cackle Hatchery, not sure what their minimum is for shipping day old chicks (seems like 15 ?) , but they're close to me so I just picked them up at the hatchery... so that wasn't an issue in my case. I bought them sexed, 2 cockerels and 7 pullets plus 1 extra that they included, so 8 pullets. All healthy and all lived. One pullet has a slight cross beak. About half are lighter colored, and about half are darker salmon. All have some black in the beards, one has a lot, so certainly not show quality, but nice favs for hatchery birds from what I can tell. You can see a few pics on my coop page .

For my question about the roo on the left of my photo above , I suspect he might look like this, with the orange mix in the shoulder (swiped this image from feathersite):
SFavCkl.JPEG

Where as the one on the right might looks more like this, with a more even mahogany color (swiped this image from pinterest):
525446616564f9e92b2affd6ac81890e.jpg

But I'm just guessing, was curious what others thought? Or if they change so much between 15 weeks and maturity that you can't really tell
Your coop is amazing! Jealous over here

BB8930F1-B8E7-4AFE-9E9C-EF3D3DFD307D.jpeg
916E3833-4D69-4B1D-87EB-79C4C8264EDC.jpeg
5E98B8F3-AC37-4CB7-837B-770B4CD034D8.jpeg
Can anyone shed some light? I got 2 pullet Salmons last week. They are now 4 weeks. I tried to let them acclimate the last few days but now started to go in a give treats. They won’t eat the egg yoke mash so I tried grapes and they won’t touch those either. Are my chicks broken? Haha my last Salmon trio were raised by a broody hen and bought locally and they were so different. Pretty sure these are from a hatchery. Anyone have odd behavior like this? I want to socialize them but they don’t seem interested. Thanks!

Mine were kind of like that with new foods... I had Dominiques and amerucaunas also, and the favs were always the slowest in picking up on new stuff in general... they’re cute and silly... but maybe a tiny bit dim?

Still my favorites though.

Mine were kind of like that with new foods... I had Dominiques and amerucaunas also, and the favs were always the slowest in picking up on new stuff in general... they’re cute and silly... but maybe a tiny bit dim?

Still my favorites though.
hilarious I saw someone else call them derpy and I love that term now! I just read another forum about how they are the slowest to come for treats etc and of course tend to be picked on the most so I feel better. They are still adjusting I’m sure! I’ll give them so extra time.

I got my roo as a chick and he was supposed to be a salmon faverolle hen. Both parents are Salmon Faverolles but he is not the typical color of the roo's of this breed. Is it a possible Gene mutation or hidden Gene that gave him this coloring? If so is it rare to happen?

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_131158231.jpg
    IMG_20180928_131158231.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 28
My guess is that the parents were both blue salmon Faverolles... your roo looks to be “splash” colored...

If you breed a hen and roo that both carry the blue gene... the offspring will average 25% black, 50% blue, and 25% splash

I got my roo as a chick and he was supposed to be a salmon faverolle hen. Both parents are Salmon Faverolles but he is not the typical color of the roo's of this breed. Is it a possible Gene mutation or hidden Gene that gave him this coloring? If so is it rare to happen?
I can't expand the picture, but it looks to me like he's a recessive white with red leakage. Recessive whites aren't common but they do pop up from time to time in certain lines.

Back
Top Bottom