Favorite actions or sounds of your birds?

So I also have a pullet named Rosemary - who incidentally is also my friendliest bird -, she often makes an "ooooh!" Sound like she just heard a juicy bit of gossip. xD Thyme though is certainly the most unique one of my flock. She speaks mainly in a honking like sound. At first I was worried she might have been sick but no, that's just her voice. She's been doing it since shortly after she stopped peeping. She also incidentally likes to wipe her beak on me and pull on my shirt. That bird is a loveable mystery, she is the youngest bird, was the runt for a while and was the last to feather out by maybe 2-3 weeks yet she has grown into a beautiful blue bird with a magnificent grey beard and has become flock leader. My late pullet Sage though had the prettiest voice, she had a high pitch voice that always sounded a bit annoyed - given her expression and skittish temperment it fitted lol. The blue one is Thyme, the golden brown one is Rosemary and the one with the black and white is the late Sage

Attachments

• IMG_20230919_172529812_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230919_172529812_MP.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231019_092728885_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231019_092728885_MP.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231026_115515831_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231026_115515831_MP.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 8
My Barred Rock Xenobia is the biggest & fluffiest in my mixed flock of 8, a very mellow and affectionate girl. She makes this kind of dinosaur-sounding honk instead of clucking, and has a raspy warning growl when she's in the nest box about to lay (giving the other girls stink-eye if they get too close). I recognize her low (alto?) voice vs. the others clear across the property. She's the "Miss Congeniality" of the flock (except when laying, but who can blame her?).

"Martha the Midwife" is a Whiting's True Blue who stands outside the coop peering in through the HW cloth window to spy on whoever's in there laying, and SHE announces a new egg with her very soprano egg-song before the girl who actually laid the egg gets a chance to sing!

Flock leader Pauline the Buff Orpington hangs around with me whenever I'm in the chicken yard; we've had our own conversational language since she first arrived as a young pullet. She greets me with a distinctive, "Brrrrrr-pook-a-pook" sound none of the others make, and converses with lots of trills between "pook-a-pooks". She and Xenobia are the most affectionate and comfortable with holding & petting.

They are each individually fascinating creatures! 🥰

Several of the different pens have one sound they all make when they see mee but our Brahma rooster Bruce does this half flap and sprints to the fence and when I acknowledge him he makes this kinda bawkabawkabawka sound. There's 8 bawkas and it's really fast. He'll go do his thing around the pen but when he hears my voice after I've been quiet awhe he's right back with the bawkas

Today I was reminded of how cute birds can be even though I'm sure certain ones aren't even trying to be. When it comes to sounds our rooster Roo while hes not trying to his little sounds of trying to get his girls attention and given them treats is sooo adorable! I feel bad for calling them adorable because well hes a rooster so its probably his nature but ugh I can't help but say "Good boy Roo" when hes making those little sounds and bobbing his head up and down and picking up the treat and trying to get closer to the girl he wants to give it to.

When it comes to actions as much as I hate it but also love it our girl Rosemary beats it. Almost everyday that girl is something. I usually wear sports/basketball shorts outside despite the cold cause I love my cold weather lol And little miss Rosemary does this thing where shell come up and do little jumps and trying to do some sort of bite/beak scratch against my shorts. It drives me crazy.. I don't get the point of her action yet. Is it a attention thing. Treat thing. Affection thing? Because of the hole like texture of them? I dunno but its adorably annoying lol She's done it to my back as well but more often than not its my shorts she does it to. When their free ranging its less often. Strange little girl
Roo sounds cute! ❤️

My chicken will sometimes peck me after I pet her, and on occasion if I'm on the floor kneeling down to clean something she will come up and peck me in the butt. It's hilarious!

My boys make the cutest and most loving calls. Especially those the little serama boy makes. They sound adorable. The only thing that beats them is momma female noises🥰
Could not agree more lol ☺️Our first three hens were momma penny and her babies Hamish ad Lulu. Once they grew up Penny was a total grump ALL the time and we couldn't remember how she'd ever cared for chicks, until one day, completely out of the blue, she started tidbitting Lulu - a fully grown hen by this point! It was the cutest wee noise. I think Lu was just as surprised as we were!

My chickens used to scratch at my shorts ALL. THE. TIME.

My favorite noises are when they sneeze while eating and purring. When my roo was about 4 weeks old I used to hold him and he always purred and fell asleep on me ❤️
Aww I would love to have one take a nap on me lol As chicks the only one that didn't mind being held was Rosemary but even then she still liked her friends better. Chicken sneezes are cute lol

Back
Top Bottom