favorite dust bath recipe?

The breathing of de over time can cause lung disease called silicosis no different than breathing dust from a concrete saw or any number of other nasty things that get caught up in your lungs and never come back out, I don't care to subject myself to that considering de is completely useless and also expensive. My chickens are around wild birds all the time and have never had a issue with parasites, they're in good health and so enjoy digging holes in a sunny spot and dusting away with dirt, I have read ash can be beneficial, probably more so than de and its free. As far as I'm concerned de is a modern day "snake oil"

Is this the right kind of DE for chicken bath?

Last edited:
What about very fine wood shavings from a board plane grinder for use in a dust bath recipe or maybe just by itself?

Wood shavings will work as part of a mixture (Our mixture is 4/3/2/1 DE/Wood Ash/Fine Dirt/Wood Shavings). However, when used alone, wood shavings are comparable to chickens rolling in their own feathers.

Reference:
Scholz, B., Urselmans, S., Kjaer, J.B. and Schrader, L. (2010). Food, wood, or plastic as substrates for dustbathing and foraging in laying hens: A preference test. Poultry Science, 89: 1584-1589 DOI: 10.3382/ps.2009-00598

Sanatora, G.S., Vestergaard, K.S., Agger, J.F. and Lawson, L.G. (1995). The relative preferences for feathers, straw, wood-shavings and sand for dustbathing, pecking and scratching in domestic chicks. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 43: 263-277 DOI: 10.1016/0168-1591(95)00562-7

Back
Top Bottom