• I want to try it!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Um...maybe...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Quote:
We cannot sell feathers like this. If we shipped any of these the salons would complain. It looks like this feather was bought off of someone with backyard poultry looking to make a buck

Last edited:
Quote:
We cannot sell feathers like this. If we shipped any of these the salons would complain. It looks like this feather was bought off of someone with backyard poultry looking to make a buck

That is what I think. I don't know where the 'salon' is that she gets her hair done (all I know is she has had the same person doing it for several years), so I don't know if they had other lengths or what.

I swear that it looks like it came from our barred rocks.

Well if she likes it then that's all that matters! I actually like the look of the regular feathers but salons will not take them

They're actually put on with crimp beads which are readily available from places that carry jewelry making supplies.

Quote:
Yes
smile.png
I noticed by hers
smile.png

I have noticed last time I had to to go walmart, that some looked good, and some just did not look right when they were put on. I think some of the beauticians just wanted to start sticking them in to join the feather craze.

Last edited:
I think they ask. I was getting my hair cut while a young girl was having one put in and they just put it where she told them to. BTW, the stylist didn't know they were crimp beads; she thought they were special for the feathers. lol

I own a salon and we've been offering feather extensions since April. This trend has brought a lot of business into the salon. The stylist will group together several feathers of different colors and textures. Sometimes, she adds hair bling in with the feathers and then crimps them into the hair. We use only silicone lined crimp beads which are easier on the human hair. Metal ones will not only rust but they will cut the hair. Clients are allowed to select their colors, lengths, and sizes of feathers. Most are going for the wider feathers lately as they make more of a statement than the skinny ones. Our prices are 1 for $10 or 5 for $40, prices will be adjusted according to the quantity of feathers over 5. I've heard of salons charging much more, but not many charging less. There's also little shops along the Gulf Coast that will put them in your hair. Most of those are done by summer workers, not professional stylists. I've had feathers in my hair for several months. I love the look and they're so easy to care for, I hardly know they are there.

Being a chicken lover and keeper myself, I've considered growing a breed with long hackle. But most of the research I've seen has lead me to believe that the farmers earn every penny. Rumor has it these roos are really mean and will stop at nothing to claw your eyes out when you enter their coop to clean and feed daily. I've got two kids at my house and their safety is my first priority. That's why we have Brahma and Serama, sweet chickens as pets!

I'm interested to see how this trend plays out. I know the hair extension market will soften at some point but the fly fishermen will always keep the farmers busy. If anyone on BYC is growing these roos and is looking for distribution or sales, PM me.

Tina

Our business has temporarily shut down because we CANNOT get anymore feathers. We are not the only supplier who has had to do so either.
Fortunately a lot of OUR suppliers will not sell to companies like us because they want to keep loyalty to te fly fishermen. I actually think that's kind of cool.

Back
Top Bottom