Feather (pics!!) comparison/pattern/genetics/etc

MamaBirds_Quail

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
Full disclosure: I’m a genetics nerd. I began playing with breeding different colors/coat types in mice as a teen over 20 years ago and it’s just escalated since 😆

I’m trying to teach myself the quail color/pattern types and since my teen birds are molting I’ve been comparing individual feathers to help “see” the differences.

Here are the birds:
BC4E567A-0265-4FDA-A136-F5EAE653BA33.jpeg

Per where I got the eggs they are from top to bottom: Tibetan, Tibetan/Rosetta tuxedo, falb fee (I’m less convinced on this as her feathers continue to come in), range/Rosetta, Scarlett, Egyptian, Rosetta tux, Scarlett (one Scarlett is a tuxedo), “snowie”, and Grau fee.

As far as I can tell, the breed stock they came from are not kept in color pens so assume most of these are het, unless the color requires 2 copies.

Here are the feathers I’ve collected:
E525E13D-03B6-4460-B37B-E3D60A04547A.jpeg

Do Falb fee usually have dark under fluff like that? Also, those “wild type” feathers are from the falb… can the fee gene still allow for some brown coloring?

Do all Scarlett lack patterning on their feathers?

What does “heavy horizontal striping” mean when I read descriptions of feathers on pansy/sparkly? Because I feel like all of these feathers have primarily horizontal marks 😅

Are ALL of the above Eb feathers Rosetta?

I’m waiting to *see* the grau fee lose a flight feather so I can compare since I know that Grau only exists on the Rosetta pattern.

On that note, do Rosetta typically keep the wild face markings? Because my grau has this incredible face mask going on, which I know is tyically female on Pharaoh hens; but I suspect it may be a roo 😆
33F65BA0-35E5-40D8-805C-5006439A46DB.jpeg

That looks like a standard pharaoh, not a falb fee - do you have other pharaohs not pictured? The brown can vary a bit. And the snowie looks like a golden manchurian, I don't believe she has fee either.

That looks like a standard pharaoh, not a falb fee - do you have other pharaohs not pictured? The brown can vary a bit. And the snowie looks like a golden manchurian, I don't believe she has fee either.
These are the photos that caused her to be labeled falb fee (in the group baby shot, she’s at the front, with the Egyptian, and “snowie” behind her for comparison) — she had zero brown until this molt, and even now her underside/breast seems much lighter than Pharaoh, yes?
B2D773F5-5C40-4202-94CD-F36431E0659C.jpeg

I don’t have any straight browns to compare her to though 😅

I wonder if maybe she’s het for the fee gene? I’ve found this description of het falb few birds having some limited brown?
015B83F8-2DCA-41D3-84FA-8265288C2014.jpeg

Most of mine have been only het for fee and look greyer. These younger photos do look correctly fee though, so I would say she is het and it's leakage as she ages, though I've never had one develop that much brown myself.

Most of mine have been only het for fee and look greyer. These younger photos do look correctly fee though, so I would say she is het and it's leakage as she ages, though I've never had one develop that much brown myself.
I’m right there with you, I’ve become more and more suspicious as these new feathers come in 😆 it would be cool if she were Pharaoh because EVERYTHING else I have is a color or dilute, I guess I’ll have to see if I can ever fornsure identify one of her eggs and keep track of what hatches out?

So far the old roo I’m certain of is one of the Tibetan tuxedos… who struts around their little pen with the attitude of a MUCH larger man 😜 but statistically I assume at least 3-4 of them are male… I suspect the gray fee, one of the other tuxedos, and possibly the smaller Scarlett are also roo.

I believe they’re still tuxedo so like my scarlett with white is “scarlett tuxedo”, I have a Rosetta tuxedo, and a Tibetan tuxedo also. My understanding is the first word informs the genetic color, and “tuxedo” is the feather pattern.
Thank you ☺️ is there a certain term for the reddish copper color or would I call it a copper tuxedo?

Thank you ☺️ is there a certain term for the reddish copper color or would I call it a copper tuxedo?
I’m new to this but my understanding is:
Red birds with the roux dilute (NO black coloring anywhere) = scarlett
7E0A1EC6-B72B-4890-884B-05F620A5560C.jpeg

^ this one is scarlett, you can tell because her color on her feet is also red.

Reddish birds with black markings/skin/beak = range
E294237A-128A-480F-999E-46C265F682CA.jpeg

^ this one is range you can see the black feather ticking, and the dark spots on her legs.

I believe Tibetans can also have a fair bit of red but they are more “black with red” than “red with black” if that makes sense?

Th
I’m new to this but my understanding is:
Red birds with the roux dilute (NO black coloring anywhere) = scarlett
View attachment 3253744
^ this one is scarlett, you can tell because her color on her feet is also red.

Reddish birds with black markings/skin/beak = range
View attachment 3253745
^ this one is range you can see the black feather ticking, and the dark spots on her legs.

I believe Tibetans can also have a fair bit of red but they are more “black with red” than “red with black” if that makes sense?
Thank you so much 😊 you just taught me valuable information . I appreciate your help

Back
Top Bottom