FEATHER PLUCK vs SKINNING?

Quote:
Agreed!!
yippiechickie.gif

We just recently processed our first chickens and turkeys. It seems that either method is easy once you get a system. I thought it would be so much harder that it turned out to be.

frow.gif
I like the idea of the 'assembly line' processing that Eggonomist has going, but I don't know if I can get my husband to join in...but maybe he would. ThePamperedPullet also has a seemingly efficient approach with bypassing the cleaning altogether...I like that idea. I can understand doing BOTH methods, as stated by more than a few of you, being able to 'have your cake & eat it too'. It's not that I'm against the skin, I am looking for what works 'for the masses'. The info that the bird keeps longer in the freezer as stated by mississippifarmboy is very useful in being able to keep larger quantities of meat longer. I am open to other comments about what works & why...
clap.gif
GREAT INFO SO FAR !

Last edited:
Well, I processed my first today.. Just one, and it was a huge job, since I only had the online info to go by. I learned a LOT. My next one will go much smoother, and now I will have a helper.
I was wondering when I was done plucking if it was possible to just cut the legs, thighs and breast off and be done with it! Great idea! Thank you!
I love canned chicken.. I plan on canning some more dark meat. It is so handy to toss in a can of cream of mushroom soup for a 3 minute meal. OR over some noodles and Alfredo sauce.. No worries if the freezer goes out either.
smile.png

Quote:
Sure, it's possible. You'd be wasting wings, (my favorite part!) back, neck, and I don't know if you like liver, gizzard and heat, but those too. That's a lot of perfectly good meat to throw away from a creature who just gave it's life to feed you. Once it's plucked, it really doesn't take any longer to eviscerate and rinse out, and bag a whole bird, than it does to take the time to cut off the legs, thighs, and the breast. You just don't waste a lot of the bird you just raised and butchered.

You put an awful lot of time and money into raising those birds, why throw any of the meat away? Even if you decide to separate those parts before freezing, they'd still make fine soup, stock, chicken salad, dumplings, etc.

We had another 2 pound fryer dislocate his leg today. I have no clue
how he did it.

My son slaughtered it and I skinned it using my Leatherman survival
knife. We have a 1.5 pound bird ready for brining or freezing sitting
on the kitchen counter.

This, in my opinion, was a perfect skinning application. Quick and easy...

Back
Top Bottom