Featherless Turkey

aimlesschicken

Hatching
Dec 29, 2023
My chickens have turned on one of my turkeys. She is almost featherless. Is there any hope? I have isolated her but I think that it is too late.

I have her isolated and she is peeping again. She has a buddy with her and is eating/drinking. She seems to like the little dog house I bought. Turkey.jpg

I agree with @CCsGarden. Any additional advice from me is ONLY from my experience with this same situation. My turkeys look a lot like your girl when they’re molting. It’s not unusual for them to molt during winter. I have a male molting right now, and he’s a little under the weather over it, so I’m giving him some extra care. This process takes a lot out of a bird. Nutrition’s very important in the regrowing of feathers. Make sure she has a higher protein diet to help with feather growth. Keep her and her flock mate separated (especially if she’s been bullied), so she can get through relatively stress-free during this time. If she’s cold, you can provide a flat-panel radiant heater for her to cozy up near. I provided one for my turkey, and he lays beside it a lot during these cold Ohio nights. Again, this is ONLY from my experience. I’ve had a few birds that have had a difficult time with molting during winter, and supportive care goes a long way to help them through. Good wishes for her to be feeling better soon. 😊

Back
Top Bottom