February 2017 Hatch-a-long

My utterly spoiled February baby, the Sebright. She rides all around the house on my shoulder, hand or head. She is completely content to be there while I wash dishes, and the dogs sit and watch her, but don't make a move. I am keeping a close eye on them, so they don't get any ideas. They get rewarded with attention or treats for staying quietly near her and not bothering her.

I plan on having her join the LF chicks who will hatch this month, so she knows how to get along with other chickens.

Cuuute chicks! Such pretty frizzles. Since I had just one hatch last month, the chick stays in the house and rides around on my shoulder while I fold laundry and cook. You have a lot of February chicks!

How cute!! You need to post pictures with her on your shoulder. Oops, I see that you just did. That is one ADORABLE chicks!!!

And thanks! I do have a lot. I still have some smaller chicks in the bathroom. Sadly, one has a scissor beak, so I think that one will stay inside quite a bit longer.

Last edited:
My utterly spoiled February baby, the Sebright. She rides all around the house on my shoulder, hand or head. She is completely content to be there while I wash dishes, and the dogs sit and watch her, but don't make a move. I am keeping a close eye on them, so they don't get any ideas. They get rewarded with attention or treats for staying quietly near her and not bothering her.

I plan on having her join the LF chicks who will hatch this month, so she knows how to get along with other chickens.

What an adorable chick. I"m sorry you just had the one hatch. Good luck with the next hatch!!

Here is the first frizzled anything that I got. It was a Frilkie. I've wanted Frizzles ever since!

She is SUPER FLUFFY

How cute!! You need to post pictures with her on your shoulder.

And thanks! I do have a lot. I still have some smaller chicks in the bathroom. Sadly, one has a scissor beak, so I think that one will stay inside quite a bit longer.
Poor little one. Is the scissor beak very severe, or not too bad? I am hatching Easter Eggers this time around, and I hear they have a genetic predisposition to scissor beak - about a 1% chance.

It's not correctable like splayed legs, is it?

Poor little one. Is the scissor beak very severe, or not too bad? I am hatching Easter Eggers this time around, and I hear they have a genetic predisposition to scissor beak - about a 1% chance.

I have so many chicks and had a MAJOR issue with poopy butts, that I only looked at the back ends of the chicks. By the time I noticed this one, it was not correctable. But then again, I had a polish hatch with scissor beak and I rubber banded it, trying to fix it, and it didn't work. It died around 6 months old. They have a lot of trouble eating and drinking. This one is an EE cross, just a blue egg layer. It's very severe, the bottom beak is at a right angle to the top beak.

For what it's worth I just finished hatching 27 EEs. None of them were born with the deformed beak, and I was a little concerned about that. We have to separate flocks of EEs at my work and one of the roosters has the beak issue. I only took eggs from the flock that wasn't with that rooster.

This is the daddy to the chicks I recently hatched. I'm hoping to get a roo that carries his coloration.
1f44d-1f3fb.png

For what it's worth I just finished hatching 27 EEs. None of them were born with the deformed beak, and I was a little concerned about that. We have to separate flocks of EEs at my work and one of the roosters has the beak issue. I only took eggs from the flock that wasn't with that rooster.

This is the daddy to the chicks I recently hatched. I'm hoping to get a roo that carries his coloration.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
He is BEAUTIFUL! My EE roo, that I had back before my fight to keep my chickens,.was predominantly white. All of his offsping with the brown hens gave me were predominantly white roos, and brown hens. But 2 of the white ones turned out to be hens.

He is BEAUTIFUL!  My EE roo, that I had back before my fight to keep my chickens,.was predominantly white.  All of his offsping with the brown hens gave me were predominantly white roos, and brown hens.  But 2 of the white ones turned out to be hens.  

The rooster with the scissor beak is white with a tad of brown. They actually keep him with three hens that are similar in color to him. The flock I gathered the eggs from have the rooster I showed, and 6 hens that very in multiple colors. Two are of the white with brown but the other four are black with gold flakes, and blue with multiple other colors. It was a no brainer as to which flock to hatch from.
1f601.png

1f44d-1f3fb.png

Back
Top Bottom