February 2017 Hatch-a-long

I guess I should post this over in March, but while we are talking about scissor beak, that was yet another thing that happened with my last hatch. both cases were with SFH. One was very severe, so much so, that it was missing an eye because of the extent of the deformity (I had assisted its hatch and then sadly had to do the terrible work of euthanizing it :( ). The other was just off alignment by about a 16th of an inch and a family agreed to take it -I gave them a bunch of research to do because of the 'it may get worse, or it may not' scenario with this condition.

I guess I should post this over in March, but while we are talking about scissor beak, that was yet another thing that happened with my last hatch. both cases were with SFH. One was very severe, so much so, that it was missing an eye because of the extent of the deformity (I had assisted its hatch and then sadly had to do the terrible work of euthanizing it
sad.png
). The other was just off alignment by about a 16th of an inch and a family agreed to take it -I gave them a bunch of research to do because of the 'it may get worse, or it may not' scenario with this condition.
Sorry, what is SFH? I"m sorry about having to euthanize. I have my father or my friend do that for me. I'm glad you found a home for the other.

My utterly spoiled February baby, the Sebright. She rides all around the house on my shoulder, hand or head. She is completely content to be there while I wash dishes, and the dogs sit and watch her, but don't make a move. I am keeping a close eye on them, so they don't get any ideas. They get rewarded with attention or treats for staying quietly near her and not bothering her.

I plan on having her join the LF chicks who will hatch this month, so she knows how to get along with other chickens.

She's a doll baby!
love.gif

Hi all, I have 4 chicks that hatched 2/9 - 2/10. I am in Southern California. The days right now are in the 70s and at night it gets down to mid 40s - 50s. The 4 are in their own coop during the day that has a nesting box that can be closed off from the run. Currently, I put the chicks out during the day and then bring then in the house at night in a dog pet taxi.

Do you think they are old enough to leave outside at night - considering it is in the 40s at night?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi all, I have 4 chicks that hatched 2/9 - 2/10. I am in Southern California. The days right now are in the 70s and at night it gets down to mid 40s - 50s. The 4 are in their own coop during the day that has a nesting box that can be closed off from the run. Currently, I put the chicks out during the day and then bring then in the house at night in a dog pet taxi.

Do you think they are old enough to leave outside at night - considering it is in the 40s at night?

I would say that they will do fine!!!

I just moved my 2/18 hatch, along with the bigger chicks from my 2/24 hatch into an outdoor pen. I'm leaving them INSIDE the coop portion for a few days, so they get used to sleeping in there. Plus the drop down the ground is pretty steep and the ladder is rather narrow.

They do have a heat plate available. Most still sleep under the heat plate, but a few like to stay away from it. During the day, they avoid the heat plate. I checked on them 2 nights ago and found them all in a pile on the other side of the coop from the heat plate - they seemed happy - they were cooing, not crying. I felt the heat plate and it was cold - someone had unplugged it. I plugged it back in and they ALL went under it. So, that tells me they LIKE the heat plate. But, I don't think they need it. But they seem to be doing GREAT.

I fully expect in 2 weeks that they will have NOTHING to do with the heat plate and be perfectly happy to roost close together for heat. Yours are 2 to 3 weeks older than mine are now, so I would say you are in good.

I have 26 babies out there. So, maybe my issues are different than yours. Anyone else out there want to comment on the 4 birds?

Sorry but I vote no. Winds and moisture and a lot of other things can affect their body temp, I I would leave them inside at night for the next month, at least. Just my 2c

Thank you. My instinct was that they were still too young but then I hate locking them up at night. So their best interest is what is most important of course. Thank you for advice! They will be on continued nightly lockdown for at least another month

If I remember correctly you had silkies right? I'm not as sure how resilient they are, but in general the birds should have access to these temps at these weeks:
0 - 100F / 1 - 95F / 2 - 90F / 3 - 85F / 4 - 80F... and so on... until they are fully feathered. That being said, being cold and/or wet and/or stressed can also impact them negatively. I generally won't entertain leaving birds outside until at least 6 weeks.

Last edited:
We have had a real weather roller coaster lately. I had some 3-week old seramas that I had put out during the day because it got up in the upper 60's, but this one particular night, it dropped below freezing, and hubby and I got stuck away from home until close to 11pm. I was sure I would find 3 popsicles when I got home, but they were huddled together and warm as toast. They were very happy to see me and happy to come inside, but they can surprise us.

Back
Top Bottom