February 2017 Hatch-a-long

We have had a real weather roller coaster lately. I had some 3-week old seramas that I had put out during the day because it got up in the upper 60's, but this one particular night, it dropped below freezing, and hubby and I got stuck away from home until close to 11pm. I was sure I would find 3 popsicles when I got home, but they were huddled together and warm as toast. They were very happy to see me and happy to come inside, but they can surprise us.
I opened the door (for the first time) to the coop this morning, it's a STEEP ladder down to the ground and they had never been outside before. Only 6 of 28 thought it was worth it. I had to go into the coop and catch them all and move them back up when it started to cool down. I thought I'd find them cuddled together, but they were way too interest in exploring the new enclosure.

But, I was far more surprised that the other 22 didn't want to explore.

I now have a five week old Sebright who doesn't seem to like chickens.
roll.png
This is my sole February hatchling.

She is afraid of the young Silkie and Brahma pullets. She hides from them and cries.

She despises the two-day-old chicks I introduced her to. She stays far away from them, and shoos them off if they approach.
hmm.png

All this bird wants to do is sit on my shoulder and talk to me all day long, like a parakeet.

Now what?

I now have a five week old Sebright who doesn't seem to like chickens.
roll.png
This is my sole February hatchling.

She is afraid of the young Silkie and Brahma pullets. She hides from them and cries.

She despises the two-day-old chicks I introduced her to. She stays far away from them, and shoos them off if they approach.
hmm.png

All this bird wants to do is sit on my shoulder and talk to me all day long, like a parakeet.

Now what?

Well, I guess that you now have a pet house chicken that thinks it's a people.

I now have a five week old Sebright who doesn't seem to like chickens.:rolleyes: This is my sole February hatchling.

She despises the two-day-old chicks I introduced her to. She stays far away from them, and shoos them off if they approach.:/

Now what?

7 days. That's my chicken rule. It always takes my chickens at least 7 days to change anything!!! If after 7 days it's still not working, then you might have to find a creative solution. Best of luck to you - be strong!! (That crying and stink-eye they give is like kryptonite!) :)

7 days. That's my chicken rule. It always takes my chickens at least 7 days to change anything!!! If after 7 days it's still not working, then you might have to find a creative solution. Best of luck to you - be strong!! (That crying and stink-eye they give is like kryptonite!) :)
I have been every evening putting my pulleys in the coop because she hey are at the door of the run crying for me! This is day 3 and still they look for me every evening I'm hoping to rid that asap

Last edited:
I have been every evening putting my pulleys in the coop because she hey are at the door of the run crying for me! This is day 3 and still they look for me every evening I'm hoping to rid that asap

It's the strangest thing, because you will be absolutely sure you've made the biggest mistake in changing things for them, and they will make such a fuss, but after 7 days, it's almost as if a switch goes on in their heads and they're all okay! I just did two major transitions - moved all my layers into a barn, and moved my two adolescent roos into co-flockmaster roles. Both times, I was on the verge of tears because they were so loud and upset and resistant to changing - but now, it's as if they've always been in the barn with these roosters. Go figure.

It's the strangest thing, because you will be absolutely sure you've made the biggest mistake in changing things for them, and they will make such a fuss, but after 7 days, it's almost as if a switch goes on in their heads and they're all okay! I just did two major transitions - moved all my layers into a barn, and moved my two adolescent roos into co-flockmaster roles. Both times, I was on the verge of tears because they were so loud and upset and resistant to changing - but now, it's as if they've always been in the barn with these roosters. Go figure.
I figured I would have to do that a few days lol but when I built the new coop and run last year the old coop was nothing left but the base and they sat on that thing for days i took and put them in that new coop many a night before they would stay same with the new nest boxes I made new ones they still wait in line for the old one to be vacated!!

I figured I would have to do that a few days lol but when I built the new coop and run last year the old coop was nothing left but the base and they sat on that thing for days i took and put them in that new coop many a night before they would stay same with the new nest boxes I made new ones they still wait in line for the old one to be vacated!!
It's funny, but my old coop and run which was an A-frame structure. I took the 2 sides and the front off and covered it with wire- I just attached the new coop to the old run with a little tunnel. I never took down the nesting boxes. We just use it as a covered part of their run. But the older chickens that spent the most time in the old coop - still lay their eggs in the old free standing nesting boxes (which are just Lowe's blue buckets). We built them really nice nesting BOXES in the new coop. They won't lay in there unless we put a blue bucket inside the nesting box. It's been close to 8 months. When we first dismantled it, we took the blue buckets away, but left the frame. They continued to lay in the frame - so we gave them back their buckets. During the rain, we put up tarps to cover the A-Frame.- coop section - to try to keep it a little dryer.

But my little February babies have been out in the new grow out coop for a couple of weeks. They get let out into the attached run during the day, but at night, I was having to go in and catch about 18 of them and put them back up in the coop. Last night, there was only ONE lonely little stressed out chick down in the run. The rest had gone up by themselves!! YAY!!!!

We cleaned out the teenage pen and found 2 dead mice - the chickens killed them, but didn't eat them, thankfully. Ewwwww. Up near the house, we found a rat trap crawling away. The rat just has one leg caught, and it was making slow process across the yard. He was easy to catch.

We put away all food at night, and I've seen fewer signs of them IN the coops, but it seems for every 1 you kill, 2 more come back.

Back
Top Bottom