February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Well fingers crossed I have 3 EEs set to hatch on the 18th and 7 on the 26th. This is my second try for the first set were all yokers. I've been gathering them from our hens but thought perhaps they were getting to cold before I got to them. I live in Michigan and it's been pretty cold. This time around I actually waited for the hens to lay them, then I'd hurry up and take them.
1f602.png
I've candled the 10 remaining and they all are progressing nicely. I removed 6 that were yokers. I'm currently incubating in farm inovator 4200 and will be ordering a Hova Genesis 1588 advance tomorrow. I've read quite a few positive reviews about the genesis so fingers crossed it's a good unit? I'm not a fan of the fi 4200 for it's had not so good results with a touchy thermostat control.
1f423.png
1f64f-1f3fb.png

Well fingers crossed I have 3 EEs set to hatch on the 18th and 7 on the 26th. This is my second try for the first set were all yokers. I've been gathering them from our hens but thought perhaps they were getting to cold before I got to them. I live in Michigan and it's been pretty cold. This time around I actually waited for the hens to lay them, then I'd hurry up and take them.
1f602.png
I've candled the 10 remaining and they all are progressing nicely. I removed 6 that were yokers. I'm currently incubating in farm inovator 4200 and will be ordering a Hova Genesis 1588 advance tomorrow. I've read quite a few positive reviews about the genesis so fingers crossed it's a good unit? I'm not a fan of the fi 4200 for it's had not so good results with a touchy thermostat control.
1f423.png
1f64f-1f3fb.png

I used the FI 4250. Didn't have good results either. Just bought a Brinsea, but think I should have gone with a Hovabator. However, after these 20 hatch, I'm locking my incubator up and giving the key to some stranger so I can't be tempted again!!!

Last edited:
I used the FI 4250. Didn't have good results either. Just bought a Brinsea, but think I should have gone with a Hovabator. However, after these 20 hatch, I'm locking my incubator up and giving the key to some stranger so I can't be tempted again!!!

I use a Hovabator 1588 and it is ridiculously reliable - it was recommended by several BYCers and they were right!

Actually, we're wondering whether to candle at all now - we don't have a proper candler, and have tried looking into another egg (not one we're incubating) with a flashlight and we weren't really confident that we'd be able to see a lot. Somebody said you have more chance of killing the chicks the more you handle them, so I think I'd rather leave them alone.

Actually, we're wondering whether to candle at all now - we don't have a proper candler, and have tried looking into another egg (not one we're incubating) with a flashlight and we weren't really confident that we'd be able to see a lot.  Somebody said you have more chance of killing the chicks the more you handle them, so I think I'd rather leave them alone.
I must say this go around I was successful candeling on day 3 for a change on my EEs. I use a slyde flash light which happens to be very bright with good batteries. I just cup my hand around the end and I'm able to see quite a bit in the eggs. At day 4 I could see the veins starting and the spec where the embryo is starting to develop. So you can be successful with a flash light, plus you can use it for other purposes.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
GL

Back
Top Bottom