February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Question. I've got 5 hatched chicks. Humidity is now up to 78%. Is this ok?
I've had my humidity go up to 90 during hatch, and that hasn't been a problem. In fact, it's helpful, because if you do decide to quickly scoop out hatched chicks, then the humidity is not as likely to drop low enough to 'shrink-wrap' any other unhatched chicks. I do find that they don't dry off quickly when the humidity is very high, but as long as they are warm they do just fine.

It's a matter of preference whether you choose to leave all the chicks in to make sure no shrink-wrap happens, or whether you speedily remove chicks to a warm, dry brooder as they hatch. I am sure other people will weigh in with their own opinions. I'm just mentioning my own experience, in case it is helpful.
smile.png
Congrats on 5 hatched chicks!

I usually shoot for at least 70% so I can open it if I need to. I like to remove them to dry off once they are walking around so they aren't kicking other eggs. 78% is fine.

Last edited:
8 chicks hatched! 7 pips in the incubator!!! Not bad for shipped eggs from TN to WA!!! Over the moon excited.
That's great! I got eggs from her the week after you did. Also TN to WA. I'm hoping to get a sneak preview of what mine will look like when you post pics of yours :)

Hello orrpeople,
I was wondering if you found your new Hova to be accurate as far as temp/humidity go? I finally revived mine today and it seems to run roughly .6 degrees hotter than the preset, and humidity says 24% when the hydrometer I bought says 10%. I'm just curious as to which one to trust. Thanks

Hello orrpeople,
I was wondering if you found your new Hova to be accurate as far as temp/humidity go? I finally revived mine today and it seems to run roughly .6 degrees hotter than the preset, and humidity says 24% when the hydrometer I bought says 10%. I'm just curious as to which one to trust. Thanks

My first one agrees within a couple tenths with my therm/hygro. My new one agrees with the temp but not the humidity. I'll have to make a couple adjustments since I know the therm/hygro is probably correct. I'd test it with something you know the exact temp of first.

My first one agrees within a couple tenths with my therm/hygro. My new one agrees with the temp but not the humidity. I'll have to make a couple adjustments since I know the therm/hygro is probably correct. I'd test it with something you know the exact temp of first.
That's the part I was worried about. I bought an incutherm thermometer/hydrometer with the bator and it's saying 100.6,and 10%. My other hydrometer is in the still air which is currently in lockdown. I must say I'm a little frustrated seems how my FI Incubator runs about 40% in the same room with no water added. I may be in trouble if the new Hova is correct as far as humidity goes.
1f60f.png

Back
Top Bottom