February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Thanks for all the comments on my sebrights. I hatched them, and tried to handle them, but they never got friendly! Even after I got rid of all but 1 rooster. The girls were all B%&#es! The rooster hated my red feed scoop. Had to fight him every time I went into the pen. He wasn't as big as my boot, but he was quick and could fly! Lol

So I got rid of them all.
sad.png
they were lovely to look at though. And someone said loud! The girls were very chatty and had their own little language.

Float test - don't bother. It can confirm it's alive, but it can't confirm its dead. Just candle it and look for draw down, movement or veins. By this point, it should be obvious if it's dead.
I also don't float test. On my hatches, if I candle and don't see any movement, I find the air cell and I pip it. If they are alive, they chirp. If they are dead, they don't.

I second the question. I just FINALLY saw one little peep out! Whew! (I'll post my thoughts and pics in a few). But mine looks remarkably like @CuzChickens first pic. Mine doesn't have such clear color definition but overall colors are same/similar; eyeliner is the same too!

I think mom was a Speckled Sussex, other than that, no clue.

Well, 93% hatch rate! Unfortunately I will not be hatching in March, unless somebody orders three dozen chicks tomorrow, in which case I'll throw some in the bator, but I'm going to try to sell eight of these new chicks, build another coop, and just breathe a little. I'll set eggs for the Easter HAL.

I'm old and hard of hearing anything with a box of chicks sitting next to the incubator lol so that's out lol I have been so worried about this hatch I set it up and n my bedroom ( true sign of addiction)

I'm old and hard of hearing anything with a box of chicks sitting next to the incubator lol so that's out lol I have been so worried about this hatch I set it up and n my bedroom ( true sign of addiction)

Haha, I'd of set mine up in my bedroom, but my mom won't let me, so instead, during hatches I get out of bed at 12 with a blanket and pillow and sleep on the wood floor in the kitchen

Back
Top Bottom