February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
We have three eggs from our smooth feathered hen (small pale pinkish tan) and three from our frizzled hen that lays large brown eggs (4 on the maran color scale). The rooster is a smooth feather mix that includes black copper maran. Supposedly they are all from the same mix of parents. I wish I knew more about their origins.

I likely will have about 2 dozen shipped eggs(more if few to no breaks)I set Saturday afternoon as they should be delivered Friday according to USPS. I will check for breaks and then let them rest 24 hours before putting in the incubator and then not turn for at least 4 days.
Anyone with good experience hatching shipped eggs know if 4 days is enough or if I should wait the first 7 before starting to turn? They will be in cartons and with raised ends to make them lean and then change sides to be turned.

Well, the last two eggs didn't make it. I opened them up enough to check, two fully formed chicks and one of them had even pipped internally. No clue what happened :(

I likely will have about 2 dozen shipped eggs(more if few to no breaks)I set Saturday afternoon as they should be delivered Friday according to USPS. I will check for breaks and then let them rest 24 hours before putting in the incubator and then not turn for at least 4 days.
Anyone with good experience hatching shipped eggs know if 4 days is enough or if I should wait the first 7 before starting to turn? They will be in cartons and with raised ends to make them lean and then change sides to be turned.

Most of my eggs hatching are using shipped eggs. This is what I do.
  • Unpack visual check for damage
  • Candle to check air sacs and for hairline cracks
  • Sit for 24 to 48 hours on the counter
  • Candle to check air sacs
  • Set in incubator no turning for 24 hours (Iffy air sacs are not turned for up to 10 days)
  • Good air sacs turner on after 24 hours in the incubator
  • Day 7 to 10 Candle
  • Candle again on lockdown morning
I may candle more if the air sacs had any issues. I make sure to wash and dry my hands well before I touch the eggs.

I have pretty good results with shipped eggs.

Well, the last two eggs didn't make it. I opened them up enough to check, two fully formed chicks and one of them had even pipped internally. No clue what happened :(

Sorry. It's rough for sure when they get that far and just don't hatch. I had 3 oose eggs that that happened but mine was a weird temp glitch right on the day before hatch day. Likely they were just too weak if all the rest hatched fine.

Most of my eggs hatching are using shipped eggs. This is what I do.
  • Unpack visual check for damage
  • Candle to check air sacs and for hairline cracks
  • Sit for 24 to 48 hours on the counter
  • Candle to check air sacs
  • Set in incubator no turning for 24 hours (Iffy air sacs are not turned for up to 10 days)
  • Good air sacs turner on after 24 hours in the incubator
  • Day 7 to 10 Candle
  • Candle again on lockdown morning
I may candle more if the air sacs had any issues. I make sure to wash and dry my hands well before I touch the eggs.

I have pretty good results with shipped eggs.

Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. :)

Sorry. It's rough for sure when they get that far and just don't hatch. I had 3 oose eggs that that happened but mine was a weird temp glitch right on the day before hatch day. Likely they were just too weak if all the rest hatched fine.

Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. :)

They did hatch fine, and I actually had a very successful hatch otherwise. They're happily chirping away behind me in my computer room, so I get to turn and see them snoozing or eating or playing. Makes the sad feel better to see them healthy.

Back
Top Bottom