Febuary hatch a long

Hello all. I set 3 rir and possibly 2 rir/barred rock mix eggs on the 31st. They are due on the 21. I just candled tonight and 2 have definite veining with embryo movement, 2 are possibly early quitters or slow developers, and one is moss likely infertile. Has anyone one this thread incubated pullet eggs that are on the small side with any success?
yes my last batch had some smaller eggs had 2 chick make it Thur hatch 1died at a week old to small to keep up

Ok its day 21 at 3pm this afternoon. Yesterday around 3pm had 2 pip out of 10 RIR eggs i set last month. Checked this morning before heading off to work (3am) had 2 hatch, one zipping, and looks like 2 more pips. Got my fingers crossed for the rest. This is gotta be the best part of incubating

congrats ,,,,thats so nice!!!!!!!!!!

take some pictures if your able please
smile.png

I will try to get some pictures. I will be candling later this afternoon as I will be busy this morning but will post after I am done, I expect some to be duds but this hatch is just to test my fertility.

yes my last batch had some smaller eggs had 2 chick make it Thur hatch 1died at a week old to small to keep up

Thanks krischick. The two with definite veining are small pullet eggs so Im a bit worried. Last time I incubated chicken eggs they were from my own flock and from much better conditions, with my hens being fully mature and their eggs being a good size and shape. Every one of them hatched and were healthy. It's encouraging to know that you can hatch out pullet eggs though.

I'll be setting some test eggs this Saturday. Tonight I'll get the incubator up and running to make sure everything's still working (first hatch since last year-woo!) and to get the air in the incubator a bit more humid. It's been so dry in our house with the woodstove and heat pump taking turns. I'm thinking I'll set about 8 eggs. I've got three from one of my Wheaten Marans hens and will make up the difference with Swedish Flower Hens.

Ok I candled and 3 were clear 6 blood ring, 2?? rest looked good.

Blood ring

Blue eggs looked like this

Veins

Green egg

Veins

Veins

Blood Ring

Veins

Green egg veins

Green egg hard to see

Veins

Bloodring

That makes 33 eggs still in incubator 3 of them ???
Did not want to post all the pictures cause most look about the same.

Last edited:
 So crap. We lost power yesterday morning about 6:30 am. didn't wake up until 8:15. 

Got the bator wrapped in towels and next to our woodstove. Except you can't regulate that heat very well so I've either chilled or cooked them.    power came back on about an hour ago. Got it plugged back in, realized they're supposed to go into lockdown tonight, tapped off the water well and am just gonna step back and cross my fingers.
Hope everyone else is have a less stressful go of it!

So crap. We lost power yesterday morning about 6:30 am. didn't wake up until 8:15.

Got the bator wrapped in towels and next to our woodstove. Except you can't regulate that heat very well so I've either chilled or cooked them. power came back on about an hour ago. Got it plugged back in, realized they're supposed to go into lockdown tonight, tapped off the water well and am just gonna step back and cross my fingers.
Hope everyone else is have a less stressful go of it!
Crossing my fingers they are OK and you have a nice hatch!

Back
Top Bottom