Fed Chickens this and eggs came out weird??

SeaAggieShelby15

Chirping
Oct 24, 2017
Galveston County, TX
I fed my chickens this as a treat and half of their eggs had a lot of poop on them, three were very small and strange markings in three others. All in the pictures including the treat.

Thanks,
Shelby

Attachments

• IMG_8902.JPG
    IMG_8902.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8903.JPG
    IMG_8903.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8904.PNG
    IMG_8904.PNG
    479 KB · Views: 18
I had an EE that laid eggs like that all the time....the one in the first pic. Not the poopy ones.

She did it regular for 6 years. They were a favorite of our hunter friend. Already in camouflage!
See, not one of our eggs have ever had any marking on them besides one with brown Speckled. These are yesterdays for instance right after I collected them.

Attachments

• IMG_8882.JPG
    IMG_8882.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 16
I have not checked yet. I guess I should do that.

When hens get poop on the eggs, it could just be an oopsy. Sometimes they get poop on their feet, then go into the nest. I don't think that corn or mealworms would have caused a discoloration of the shell. That would most likely be an infection of the oviduct.
This happens occasionally, then clears up on it's own. I would just take a wait an see stance. If it continues in those three hens, there could be infection.

I have had my hens lay weird eggs, then go back to normal eggs again. So, just be vigilant, as you have been. Good for you...mama hen!

God Bless!

It's a small lamp for a turtle. We stick in the corner of the coop because it went close to 32 the other night. Should we not try to regulate their temperature?

Keep them dry, draft free, well fed and watered, and they will handle winter temperatures far lower than you will see in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom