Feed companies response to the “big question”.

Whether you want to trust them or not, I think you should give a consistent LEVEL of trust to what they say on their site.

Their site says they own Purina.
Their site says, not Purina in the USA.

So either we should trust them on both points, or on neither point. Not just one of the two points.

Why should I believe that because an organization tells me the truth about one thing that they will tell me the truth about everything. That seems rather naive.

Why should I believe that because an organization tells me the truth about one thing that they will tell me the truth about everything. That seems rather naive.

I look at it the other way: if they lie to me about one thing, why should I trust anything else they say?

What makes you think they are telling the truth about anything?

If you do not believe them when they say they do not own USA Purina, then I think you should not believe them either when they say they own Purina in other countries.

Are there not two Purina's, one concerned with animal feeds and the other with human foods? I drive through St. Louis, Missouri frequently and recall see to different signs on the different buildings.

Are there not two Purina's, one concerned with animal feeds and the other with human foods? I drive through St. Louis, Missouri frequently and recall see to different signs on the different buildings.

There appear to be at least three:
Land O Lakes owns Purina livestock feeds in the USA
Nestle owns the Purina pet foods
Cargill owns the Purina brand internationally.

I just bought 10 new hens and after 2 weeks of keeping them separated by hardware fabric, I have integrated them. My hens (original) were raised from their first day on Earth with each other. The other 10 came from a private seller and I don't know much about them. They integrated well but after just a few days, I noticed 2 with foamy eyes. I segregated them and started treating them with Tylan 200, Vet RX and Terramicyn Opthalmic ointment. They started to improve and then I found another with the same foamy eye. She is with them and she is getting the same treatment, but she doesn't seem to be improving as much. She is holding her eyes shut most of the time and seems lathargic. Anyone have any ideas on what this is and how I may help her?
I would post this in the illness thread. Foamy eyes are actually a respiratory symptom in chickens. I would think the Tylan would help. That is rather mysterious. I hope you get some answers.

I look at it the other way: if they lie to me about one thing, why should I trust anything else they say?

What makes you think they are telling the truth about anything?

If you do not believe them when they say they do not own USA Purina, then I think you should not believe them either when they say they own Purina in other countries.
Some lies are easier to get away with than others. But I take your point.
Nevertheless, I’ve been lied to for too long about too many things to fully trust anything that comes from men.
Only God is worthy of my complete faith.

I’ve been feeding Purina Layena for years. I’ve never really had a problem with it and I’m not entirely certain that it is a problem now. However, after discussing this issue with the very knowledgeable and friendly gentleman who runs the local feed store, (who said that “he would hate to think that there was anything nefarious going on“), I was convinced to try Nutrena. He is a pretty good salesman:). But seriously, he made some good points about the differences.

Because my young ISA Browns have been molting heavily, he suggested the “Feather Fixer”.
He swears by Nutrina, which he told me is owned by Cargill and said that I would even notice a difference in the smell of the feed. And I do. This stuff really smells great compared to the Purina product.

I still have almost 100 lbs. of the Layena but I am going to switch to the Nutrena as soon as the feeder is empty.
If after a few weeks my two year old Serama starts laying regularly again, (she hasn’t laid in over two months), and the molting stops with the younger girls, I will switch back to the Purina and monitor the results.

Because I am a “conspiracy realist“, I always try to confirm any information I’m given by first hand experience whenever possible.

View attachment 3392756
Just a quick update. I got my first egg today, (From the mature hen.
Its been 9 days since switching to the Nutrena. I will keep them on this feed for another week or so and see if she keeps laying. Then I will switch back to the Purena Layena to see what happens.
I hope that she continues to lay regularly as she did last year. That would tell me that the feed isn’t a problem.
However if she stops laying again, that would speak volumes about the possibility that something has been added to the feed in order to inhibit or prevent laying.
I truly hope that is not the case.

I am aware that many people are not experiencing any problems and therefore have a hard time entertaining the idea that something nefarious might be occurring. I totally understand that.
It is similar to the vacc... I mean the experimental gene therapy injections. Those who received the jabs and incurred no negative side effects have a very difficult time believing the myriad credible reports of folks who did have negative and sometimes deadly reactions.
I think mostly because they don’t consider the likelihood that not all the batches and vials of the poison are created equal. Many people were quite likely injected with saline while others received the poison.
In the same way, not all batches or bags of feed need be adulterated for the possibility to exist that some have been.

Who knows what the real truth of the situation is? I certainly don’t. But I’m going to do my best to find out.
In the meanwhile, I will remain highly skeptical and suspicious of those who are in positions of power and their cronies.

So I just want to go on the record, again, that I doubt anything feedwise is intentional. I can entertain the thought of poor quality/ bad choices for substitutions, sure.

I accidentally did an experiment the past few weeks with my Cornish bantams. They started this season out laying strong. Out of like 8 girls, I was getting 3-5 eggs a day. Then snow came and I shut the window, which meant it got way darker.

Guess who forgot to open the window back up and hasn't gotten many eggs since about that same time. Me. Opened it yesterday so I should see eggs start coming back in a couple days

Back
Top Bottom