Feed gets moldy if wet!!

RhondaWW

Songster
Jun 30, 2020
Clearview, Ontario
Hello. I am a new chicken enthusiast and am concerned that the feed I've bought, Purinas Gold'N Start and Grow Crumble, gets moldy if left on wet grass. They obviously aren't eating this but it has happened outside their run when we had them in a tractor that shifted locals. I would notice that the following day, any crumble that had been scratched out of the dish was ringed with mold. I am concerned that the recent wet weather and humidity might effect the feed in their run too. Why is this happening and should I be concerned?

Hello. I am a new chicken enthusiast and am concerned that the feed I've bought, Purinas Gold'N Start and Grow Crumble, gets moldy if left on wet grass. They obviously aren't eating this but it has happened outside their run when we had them in a tractor that shifted locals. I would notice that the following day, any crumble that had been scratched out of the dish was ringed with mold. I am concerned that the recent wet weather and humidity might effect the feed in their run too. Why is this happening and should I be concerned?
Keep the feeder in a dry place. Consider a feeder they can‘t scratch stuff out of. Clear away moldy feed. Chickens can get fatal botulism poisoning, and they are at high risk with moldy feed.

They're feed is now under cover and stays dry from rain but should I still worry about high humidity compromising the feed. I don't understand why fred that is this prone to mold would even be sold!

Fresh food molds! It should be stored and fed in dry locations, so it doesn't get yucky and moldy. When using a tractor, move it often, feed in a hanging feeder that limits bill out, and watch things. Does your tractor have a tarped roof? That will keep the interior dry enough too.
High humidity by itself isn't as much of a problem, although feeding enough to be eaten in a couple of days, so the feed in the feeder is fresh, works better..
mary

Back
Top Bottom