Feed inside the coop or outside?

I continue to tweak mine all winter, depending on the weather, in my bantam coop. In my large shed there's not much I can do about drafts sometimes but the chickens have multiple places they can choose to roost, and a large area to move around in.

Hopefully @junebuggena will share how she does it.

Last edited:
I just use the @ symbol to add someone's name.

My bantam coop is inside a barn. My ventilation is the wind that seeps through the door cracks and an inside window that I open and close depending on how much air I want moving through. In the summer all windows are wide open. We can have huge temperature ranges in winter, a warm 30 degree day to -25 degrees, the warmer it is the more ventilation, the colder I close things up a bit, and with a -40 wind chill I close things up and the air will still move through. I'm not looking to have a warmer coop, just fresh air in the coop. Mine go out every day they can.

You might want some vent covers for those really cold days but it depends on the coop and design of it.

That makes sense. Our coop has 8 foot walls and then an A frame style roof.. though the pitch of the roof hasn't been determined just yet. The vents will be in the eaves... or up at the top point of the A. There will be windows on at least 3 of the walls... preferably 4. Depends on what I can talk my bf into. I guess if it isn't absurdly cold I will open the windows as well, just for some airflow through the coop. Not that it'll make a difference to them anyway, they'll be outside. :D

Why would I need to cover the vents, in cold weather, if not to keep the coop a bit warmer?

You are right, that's why I close up some ventilation, so it's a touch warmer than outside when it's bitter cold. It's funny I just do things and don't always think about the reasons anymore, it's just how I have always done things.

What is new and scary, is all an old routine for me. You'll figure it out, it's best to learn, and read, than apply what works for you, everyone does things differently. I think that's part of the appeal. Been keeping chickens for over 20 years and it still isn't old, and I'm still learning stuff. This year I'm going to try hatching eggs with an incubator, I've always used my bantams to hatch for me, this year I want to try to do it, though I'm scared I'll kill them all.

Whenever I feel stressed I sit down and watch my chickens, they make life seem simple.

I'm still reeling from how much there is to learn.. and how many variables there are in almost every aspect of the whole adventure. I'm super excited.. my bf thinks I'm nuts. lol I keep telling him how excited I am and how I can't wait to get the coop done to get them out in it and scratching and playing in their yard. :)

My main worry is the whole predator issue. I know how heartbroken I will be if anything happens to any of them. My coop is going to be safe... but in the beginning the run isn't going to be closed in at the top. I just don't have the $ to do it all at once. The run will be a daytime run only.... and I'm sure I'll be out there a lot with them. And I'm a little worried how my Silkies will blend with the rest of the flock, but I guess time will tell.

I've been googling and asking a lot of questions here... I'm sure people are quite tired of me. :/

I think it would be super exciting to hatch your own eggs! You'll have to keep us all posted. :)

I don't mind any questions, most people think I'm nuts because I like chickens, you either get it or you don't.

My run for my bantam isn't covered and my large breeds don't have a run, they come and go as they please. I have lost a few to predators over the years, mostly coyote and Fox, I've never lost any to hawks.

Unfortunately, chickens die here and there from various reasons, so be ready for that. Most of mine live for 4-10 years, most pass around 5. I give them the best life I can so it helps me to feel better when one goes.

Once you figure it all out you will wonder why it seemed complicated. I'm excited for you.

I am excited to hatch some eggs, I really want to stick some of my own eggs in it and try it before I receive the ones I bought but then I would have another batch of chicks to brood. I have complicated my chicken world for the season, I do it every year.
1f601.png

I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. And talking /to/ me, not /at/ me. I've had my share of that some too. Even though I'm new to chickens, I'm not an idiot. :p And I'm the type of person if someone tells me something, but doesn't explain it, I am always going to ask why. Not because I'm trying to argue, but because I'm trying to learn.

I totally get it!! I told my bf I wish we'd done this a long time ago. :D

I feel better knowing your run isn't covered. Several people have made me feel like I'm a terrible person for even considering not having a covered, totally predator proof run. :/

Hahaha, I wondered that myself.. if I'd look back on all this and be like... Eh, what was all the fuss about?! lol

I think I'd like to eventually try my hand at hatching my own eggs too. I had NO idea you could buy eggs on ebay!!

Back
Top Bottom