Feed sack recycling ideas??

Pics
does anyone have any ideas on what to do w/all the feed sacks one collects? I use a couple for recycling (cardboard, cans, #1 plastic), and I wipe off my dog food bags & use them for wrapping packages (inside out so I can use the blank side for addressing). Oh, and I use them as trash bags too.
Do you have a sewing machine? If they are the sturdy ones, a friend of mine resews them into reuseable grocery or carryall bags. similar to this.
il_570xN.595593308_e5z6.jpg

does anyone have any ideas on what to do w/all the feed sacks one collects? I use a couple for recycling (cardboard, cans, #1 plastic), and I wipe off my dog food bags & use them for wrapping packages (inside out so I can use the blank side for addressing). Oh, and I use them as trash bags too.
The paper ones go in the garden between the plants then put manure and or compost on them . When you irrigate the nutrients feed your plants and make good soil for next year. The others I just use as trash bags.

I have made tote bags from them but it was a pain. They do make good brooder liners or tarp covering when I put the youngsters out in their "playpen".

If you are talking about the sort of woven plastic feed bags, there are patterns around for making tote bags out of them. Especially cool if the bag is brand name, like Layena or something with a pretty picture on it. I think some people make them to sell at craft fairs and farmers' markets.

I saw this cute tote in the store yesterday; made from a feed bag.

Attachments

• 0CD535B6-DF53-45C6-8607-80FF72EA5A34.jpeg
    0CD535B6-DF53-45C6-8607-80FF72EA5A34.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 96377B29-7E5D-4747-8BC3-E65844FF83BE.jpeg
    96377B29-7E5D-4747-8BC3-E65844FF83BE.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 20
Last year I used them between the rows in the veg garden as mulch, cut them down the sides, opened them and put a small rock on each corner, no weeds, saved my back from much weeding.

Back
Top Bottom