Feed store drama!

I would probably go out with all the little peeps in my arms if I could!
lau.gif

yes that is a very nice looking bird..I imagine mine will be a lighter color...It looks like it may have a similar body type to a Millie Fleur?

um so...I consider myself an experienced chicken person....and I didnt even think to look before I bought them ..but my 'splash silkies' DO NOT have 5 toes....they look exactly like silkies but they dont have 5 toes...WHAT IS THIS!?????

Feed stores usually get their chicks from hatcheries, which focus on quantity, not quality. Its very common for them to be missing parts and pieces or having traits they aren't supposed to. 4 toes are common in Silkies (as are 6 or more!), but they should obviously have 5 to adhere to the standard :)

ah! you made me so much happier .. lol... I really wanted splash silkies...so odds are they will still look mostly like a silky???

Some hatcheries have pretty decent Silkies, others not so much. A lot of times they lack crest and feathering on the legs. Its also common to see them with improper straight combs. Anyway, the only way to know for sure is to grow them out :) Either way, they'll likely make fine pets!

The original Silkies were white. All the other colors probably came from crossbreeding with 4 toed single comb birds. According to the American Silkie bantam association Marco Polo wrote about seeing Silkies in China and they did not have crests or leg feathers back then.

they are a pure bantam breed originating in Japan (obviously :p ), they come in all sorts of colors including tan/white, black/white, black, etc., and have a similar body shape like English Game bantams. The roos can be fiercely protective of the flock while still being sweet to handlers :) they make excellent show birds too

Back
Top Bottom