Feed waste, to soak or not soak

You aren't worried about their feed mixing with their poops? Have you tried any other feeders, like a bowl instead of a trough?
I feed my birds wet mash in plastic troughs. As long as the troughs are lower than anything else in the area, they don't perch on them, and they don't poop in them.

When you have a large number of birds, i assure you, no bowl smaller than a kiddie pool is big enough.

You aren't worried about their feed mixing with their poops? Have you tried any other feeders, like a bowl instead of a trough?
They're actually pretty good about picking around things they don't want to eat (like their own poop).

That said, my flock has no issues eating FF out of their bowls. They do fling some around the general area, but always clean up after themselves.

I feed my birds wet mash in plastic troughs. As long as the troughs are lower than anything else in the area, they don't perch on them, and they don't poop in them.

When you have a large number of birds, i assure you, no bowl smaller than a kiddie pool is big enough.
That was to feeding by dumping it straight on the ground. When the chickens wouldn't eat it from a trough.

They seem to have a small enough number of chickens in a large enough space and maybe have good enough drainage that it is working for them.

I wasn't saying bowls are better than troughs. Although I like bowls and have few enough chickens for them to work very well once I solved the tipping over issue.

Last edited:
I guess that's a possibility, but I feed them out in the run, not the coop, with less poop. And I tried a bowl, all they did was knock it over and went to town on the spilled feed once it hit the ground. My birds free range in a fenced in area, tilling my garden beds for me until spring, when they'll be moved to a new run area for the growing season and then back into my garden space to till and fertilize my garden beds again. I work on the permaculture conspect of putting my animals to work on my land. Yes they're mainly pets with names, thanks to my girls naming them all, but at the end of the day they're here to work for me. I do provide them a clean dry predator proof coop to sleep in, fresh water both inside and outside the coop, and tons of loves from my girls and all the kitchen scraps they could want along with whatever bugs and plants they find in their run. I'm actually planning on growing a chicken garden with plants just for them to eat, hoping to cut down on my feed costs.
A woman after my own heart. Your model is the one I'd like to follow when I get my girls (within days). Thank you for sharing this.

I am on Mr. Rhodes' mailing list. It started with the three videos. Is/was he your inspiration? I am still allowing all the info. to sink in my lil had. I so want to get it all correct.

A woman after my own heart. Your model is the one I'd like to follow when I get my girls (within days). Thank you for sharing this.

I am on Mr. Rhodes' mailing list. It started with the three videos. Is/was he your inspiration? I am still allowing all the info. to sink in my lil had. I so want to get it all correct.
Do you have a link of Mr. Rhodes' videos?

BTW, I recognize the swahili in your signature line from a song I learned decades ago. :)
Means "thank you very much" (loosely translated).

Do you have a link of Mr. Rhodes' videos?

BTW, I recognize the swahili in your signature line from a song I learned decades ago. :)
Means "thank you very much" (loosely translated).
Did you see Lion King? Rafiki the baboon sings "Asante sana, squashed banana". Okay, ya hafta hear it!!!!!

Seriously, "thank you" is what I feel from all the valuable information shared here and the chicken camraderie. I'll be glad when I am able to contribute something useful to someone.

Soon! :cool:

Did you see Lion King? Rafiki the baboon sings "Asante sana, squashed banana". Okay, ya hafta hear it!!!!!

Seriously, "thank you" is what I feel from all the valuable information shared here and the chicken camraderie. I'll be glad when I am able to contribute something useful to someone.

Soon! :cool:
Haha! Now that you mention it, I can remember Rafiki singing that! (though that wasn't where I first heard it)

I know what you mean about being thankful for this forum. I'm finally getting serious about getting chickens myself and it's great to get questions answered.

How many chickens will you be getting to start?

Haha! Now that you mention it, I can remember Rafiki singing that! (though that wasn't where I first heard it)

I know what you mean about being thankful for this forum. I'm finally getting serious about getting chickens myself and it's great to get questions answered.

Depends upon when you ask me. :lau
My initial thought: 8. Hubby innnsssisssted it be 40. After much whining and attempt at reasoning that went kinda like this "Precious [said in my sarcastic voice] I want to learn, figure this all out before getting a heapa bunch of birds." He acquiesced to 30. His thinking is we'll lose some some plan for it and keep it moving. I mean, I get it, but still I wanted about 8 birds. I think last we visited the topic we said 20. Then, it occurred to me . . . this is MY project. If I buy 8 birds what's he gonna do - stamp his feet - geesh. Besides, HE can buy his own flock if he wants. But, I told him I don't want his birds associatin' with MY ladies. ha ha ha.

I am better able to answer which breed I want: 1 Braha buff roo; Buff orpingtons, Dixie Rainbows (along with a DR roo), Easter Egger. 2 roos IF I wind up with 20. Only 1 for less. If anything happens to one of my ladies then I'd like a Welsummer replacement.

Ok, went all around that bush to say 15-20!

Last edited:

So wait! You're like me . . . in the reading stage; no flock . . . yet!!! Uww, cool, we'll be neophytes at this together. When are you looking to get some ladies? Oh, by the way, I am thinking between tomorrow and Sunday. Gonna go to TS and see what they have. We stopped by for a visit last Saturday and I was crazy gleeful. At that time they had some a week old. I would really like to get some chicks older than a day or two. I hope they either have some left or got some more.

I have this way cool playpen/brooder arriving today. It is lime green, white mesh; too cute. I will be brooding them in my sewing room OR here in my "She area/play room for me" or maybe in my living room. Lord knows I don't use it for anything other than walking through it to get to the bedroom or kitchen. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom