Feeder and Waterer for 25 Chicks

doeseatoats

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
Northern California
Hello!

We are looking at ordering 25 chicks (standard size). I have a two large Rubbermade containers we are planning on using as brooders with wire over the top (we have cats). I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for feeders/waterers? I am planning on getting one light with a red bulb for each brooder. I have searched through the archives here and found kind of conflicting advice, with no real conclusion for feeders. With that many chicks is there any specific feeders/waterers you like?

You can purchases the long feeders and they will work well a lot of chicks. The waterers are going to need constant attention with that many chicks as they will kick up everything into the waterers, no matter what kind you get. I use the same set up at first and use the small gravity fed waterers.

Be careful though with the rubbermaid totes, you may want to drill some drainage holes in the bottom. We went away for a weekend and had someone watch our chicks for us. Needless to say the water was spilled and we lost several chicks as they were trampled from others trying to get away from the water.

Regardless with that many chicks you need to have a next stage set up planned as of 4 weeks old or sooner they are going to be very crowded.

Good Luck

Thank you so much Makomd! I really appreciate the advice. I am considering other brooder options now that we're getting 25 (instead of the 6-10 we had planned at first). We have a small plastic pool and lots of cardboard, and I also was just eyeing a long wooden bin that was left on the property when we moved in (I believe it was used as a raised bed). So anyway, we have some options. I have been around my aunt while she raised chickens before, just haven't done it myself. I know they grow like weeds
wink.png
. I was thinking about asking my husband to build a tractor to be the in between step for them.

Hi for water you would wont to use nipple waterers as the chickens cant dirty the water. They peck at yhe nipples and drops of water will come down into there beeks. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Richard

If you already have the coop and no other chickens you can use that to brood them in. Partition off a part of it with the heat source and expand the area they are in as they grow. In fact after they are about four weeks you can remove the partition entirely, they will know where to go to get warm.

Good morning Mr Peeps...I have sent a couple private messages over the past few days about my order...It has been a bit over 2 weeks for sending the money order...I would like to know how long it takes to get the 10 nipple water for chickens...I have looked on your add for the nipple water to see if you have it posted about the time frame in sending them...I did not see it anywhere...I hope you get back with me asap

Back
Top Bottom