Feeder options

MarvelManor

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
North Carolina
I'm going to have 6 chickens, so looking for the best feed system. Would love to see your set ups. Also about how much food do you think they would go through a month?
(Possibly getting 2 blue layers, 2 green layer, 2 polish)

6 chickens.... 100-150 grams of layer feed per day. That's 18-27 kg per month. Could easily be a lot less dependant on free ranging feed availability, laying ability and chicken size/breed.

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers on best feed system. Rodents stealing food, wild birds stealing food, chickens wasting food by flicking it everywhere, soaking, fermenting..... feeding chickens is a sport 😛

My advice would be just get a cheap plastic hanging feeder that holds at least 5-10 kg of feed. Maybe give them some soaked feed in the mornings or afternoons for fun. Go easy on the treats. Make sure they have access to shell grit and flint grit. You will very quickly get an idea of what you and your chickens preferences are.
This is opposed to spending a heap on a fancy feeder or hours building a pvc system that you find doesn't actually suit your situation or inclinations.

I have a 15kg hanging feeder for 10-15 birds. Previously i had a stainless type. Which they managed to flick food everywhere from. And a small hanging feeder with shell grit.

My feeder:

Attachments

• eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiYmFpbmJyaWRnZXZldFwvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC85M...jpeg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiYmFpbmJyaWRnZXZldFwvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC85M...jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 32
When I was looking last Fall (we started with 5 hens), I came across this thread here on the forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-system-from-revolutionary-chicken.1530465/

So we made our version of this system.
Pros: - mouse and rat proof
- feed in bucket/container can last at least a week
- doesn't spill all over the ground (which would attract undesirables)

Note: be sure the tube has a long enough "neck" on the outer part of the container. One of the pre-made types we purchased (not in photo) tends to spill some.

That link also discusses the quail cup watering system which I also use and find fantastic. With that feeder system and water system, we can go away on the weekend and know the chickens have food and water. (We use pelleted feed rather than crumbles.)

1686689324428.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom